Tweaks to Honey Kolsch Kit?

Anyone apply any recipe "tweaks to NB’s Honey Kolsch? This will be my second batch and I am pondering any additions…but not sure which direction to go. What’s you poison?

Thanks!

Not a tweak to their kit, but my last kolsch recipe I nearly doubled the accepted “normal” IBU’s of the style to about 53 ibu’s.

I think it came out great and am brewing it again tomorrow.

[quote=“Kgetch”]Not a tweak to their kit, but my last kolsch recipe I nearly doubled the accepted “normal” IBU’s of the style to about 53 ibu’s.

I think it came out great and am brewing it again tomorrow.[/quote]

Which type of bittering hops for addition and did it deviate far from the base bittering amounts of a "typical Kolsch?

This is a good direction in that I think Kolsch is a bit on the sweet side. I do want to maintain the “crisp” side along with the malts.

Did you make the extract version on your first kit? Full or partial boil? If full did you alter the initial hops any? I was wanting to get this kit and was thinking of doing my first full volume boil with it and was just wondering if I should change anything.

Does anyone know why NB suggests the wheat and hefe yeasts, but not the Kolsch yeast with this kit?

I made the first extract kit per the instructions and it turned out a real crowd pleaser. A bit darker than expected, but very tasty.

I’m curious to anyone’s additions or alterations of this recipe.

My both mine were all grain Kolsch’s. Not the honey version.

First batch was Magnum at 60 min and Hallertau at 30 min IIRC.

I brewed it again Saturday but the LHBS was out of magnum so I subbed with Nugget at 60 min and Hallertau at 7 min.

each addition was 1 oz.

The first batch was real good accornding to my tastebuds. Not sure if anyone else does this, but I sample the wort after my hydrometer reading.

nice and sweet with a definate bitter. This one should be as good or better than the first batch. It’s bubbleing away at approx 64 degrees using the kolsch yeast from the last batch.

My tweak would be to omit the honey :mrgreen:

No, seriously.