Tubing

I’m looking to replace my cheap vinyl tubing to something better. I hate how it rolls up and is stiff when cold. It is a pain to get it to sit at the bottom of a carboy. I just need it for racking and bottle filling. I’m looking at silicone tubing. Anyone use silicone tubing instead of cheap vinyl tubing? Need some input.

we use it on our 1/2 bbl system with tri-clover clamp disconnects. Works great.

use it on my brew rig between kettles, pump and chiller.

Never considered using it for auto siphon and such…seems like overkill…
I prefer cheaper tubing for that in case it needs to be replaced due to infection or something.

Silicone is great, but most places carry the 1/2" ID tubing and that’s way too big for the auto siphon. I’m sure you can get the smaller stuff that will fit the auto-siphon, but it’ll take some looking. That said, silicone is great and using it might help prevent any aeration when racking to the bottling bucket, since it’s a lot more pliable and won’t stay curled at room temps like vinyl.

[quote=“dcbw”]Silicone is great, but most places carry the 1/2" ID tubing and that’s way too big for the auto siphon. I’m sure you can get the smaller stuff that will fit the auto-siphon, but it’ll take some looking. That said, silicone is great and using it might help prevent any aeration when racking to the bottling bucket, since it’s a lot more pliable and won’t stay curled at room temps like vinyl.[/quote]My Auto-Siphon is 1/2".

If this is the auto-siphon you use it actually uses 7/16" ID tubing even though it says its 1/2". The 1/2" ID tube wont stay on.

this is actually a really good idea. i had an accident while bottling the other day because my siphon tube was curled from storage and when i went to pump it it pulled the the end out of the bottling bucket and i pumped a bottles worth of beer all over the floor. That made me cranky :evil:

I just bought some silicone tubing on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FO ... UTF8&psc=1

I plan on using it for my mash tun that I am building. I like how flexible it is even when cold. We’ll see how it works!

Yes and I love it. Except for the price. I use cheap vinyl for ferment blow-off hose.