Trying to Harvest some Yeast-What Step Next?

OK-I kegged a 3gal pale ale. Using a pint or so of boiled/cooled water I added to carboy and swirled around, carefully pouring the yeast cake into a 1 qrt sanitized jar. I can almost see the trub and gunk settling out as i type.

What next?? Should i pour off the top portion (leaving the trub) into a smaller 1 cup jar and use that when I brew another similar beer this weekend? If so, wow that was simple!! How many times can I do this process? 3-4?

How long would my jar of yeast keep in the fridge. Im assuming any more than a few days would require a starter??

THANKS

http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/2012/1 ... posed.html

One person’s take on “washing” yeast.

I’ve never put water into the fermenter. There always seems to be enough beer left in there to get things mixed up.

From there, I will make a starter and spoon 3-5 scoops of yeast into the starter. After using the yeast for 3-4 beers, harvest a new “bank” and start over.

[quote=“gosioux”]OK-I kegged a 3gal pale ale. Using a pint or so of boiled/cooled water I added to carboy and swirled around, carefully pouring the yeast cake into a 1 qrt sanitized jar. I can almost see the trub and gunk settling out as i type.

What next?? Should i pour off the top portion (leaving the trub) into a smaller 1 cup jar and use that when I brew another similar beer this weekend? If so, wow that was simple!! How many times can I do this process? 3-4?

How long would my jar of yeast keep in the fridge. Im assuming any more than a few days would require a starter??

THANKS[/quote]
I separate mine into 3 equal jars. I use 1 jar for a 5 gallon batch up to 1 month, 2 jars between 1 and 2 months and make a starter with 1 jar if it’s over 2 months. Older than 6 months I use the whole cake in a starter (all three jars) or I make multiple step starters.

I usually try to leave as much of the thick stuff at the bottom in the original jar.