True Brew Ingredient Kit

I was just given my first home brewing setup and a True Brew ingredient kit (Porter). The directions seem a little suspect however. The kit says to boil the wort for only 20-30 minutes after the malt, sugar and hops have been added. Shouldn’t it be more like an hour? I also says to bottle only 3-4 days after fermentation has stopped. Should it be longer? I am really excited to brew my first batch of beer and any information would be greatly appreciated.

From the Crosby & Baker site:

[quote]1 can Unhopped Dark Malt Extract
2- 1 lb. bags Muntons Unhopped Dark Malt Extract
1 bag Bottle Caps
1 Muslin bag for Steeping Grain
1 bag Priming Sugar
1 packet Muntons Ale Yeast
1 oz. UK First Gold Hop Pellets
1- .375 (6 oz.) bag Muntons Crushed Chocolate Grain
1- 8 oz.bag Malto- Dextrin
True Brew™ Porter Instructions[/quote]

I would go with your thoughts and do a 60 min boil.

Steep the gains in about 1-2 gallons of water @ 150 for 30 minutes. Mean while, dissolve the dry extract in 1/2 gallon of cold water, dissolves easier.

Add the dry extract water to the steeping water and 1/3 - 1/2 of the canned extract. Have as much liquid in the pot as you can. There will be foam forming just before the boil starts, so leave space for that and have a squirt bottle on hand to knock it back.

Bring to a boil and add the hops, place the hops in the toe of some pantyhose (new) for ease of removal. Allow space in the pantyhose for the hops to expand. Boil for 60 minutes. Then add the remainder of the canned extract.

Have a 3+ gallon of water in the refrigerator/freezer. Place this in your fermenter (pail I’m guessing) and dump the hot wort in. Don’t do this if you are using glass. You will break the glass.

Add the yeast and let it sit for 10-14 days. Should be done by then, check with a hydrometer a couple days apart. See my signature line for ways to keep it close to the low-mid 60’s as possible.

As clarity isn’t a big issue with a porter, you can bottle now. Fill one soda bottle with your glass ones. Squeeze the O2 out and screw the cap on. The bottle will expand as CO2 is formed.

Start your next batch :wink:

Let set 3-4 weeks. Place in the fridge for a couple days and enjoy!