Trub

I’ve never worried about removing trub before at the end of the boil. What is the best way to remove trub before cooling the wort? I have a 10 gallon brewpot with no ball valve.

You don’t remove it before cooling, the cold break is a big part of the process. I’d suggest that you continue to not worry about separating trub, doing so generally causes you to lose significant volume and I’ve yet to hear anyone say conclusively that it causes problems.

After cooling, just leave most of the thick goo in the pot.

Thats what I have been doing thus far. I wasn’t sure what type of effect trub has on the beer. I’ve read that it can effect the final product. I read it in the HomeBrewer’s Companion Book by Charlie P.

Yeah Park, dont worry 'bout the trub. It really helps the yeast get off a great start. I did a 10 gallon batch last weekend - the first fermenter was clean with hardly any trub but the second got a load at the end of my transfer. Once fermentation started, the one with the trub was WAY more active and finished fermenting WAY sooner. As long as you are not letting the finished beer sit on the trub for 2 or 3 months you will not get any off flavors.

It is recommended to leave the hot break behind. I think what you are doing is fine.

http://www.brewingtechniques.com/librar ... rchet.html

It was German tradition to skim the break, but nobody does that much anymore. I have seen it compared and those that have compared skimming to ignoring see no marked difference. Homebrewers don’t have the means to measure things like the level of FAN (essentially a free amino acid) to get to certain levels, so the step is not likely noticeable in your brewing. Don’t worry so much about trub and concentrate on other things that affect the finished beer, like pitching rates and fermentation temperature control.

:cheers:

There’s a lot more hot break than what skims the surface.

Removing trub to get clearer beer was conventional wisdom, but I think it has been shown to not be the case. I can say from my understanding of protein biochemistry that denatured/coagulated proteins don’t renature into something soluble. Its generally a one way reaction.

Try it both ways and see for yourself.