Trub in the fermenter

So I think we are saying that what I have done is just fine. And I need not worry about poor results due to the trub.

[quote=“Denny”][quote=“rebuiltcellars”]The guy at brulosophy.com did an experiment on this topic, and it stood out because unlike the majority of experiments he’s done, this one seemed to make a difference. He found that the majority of his taste test group prefered the beer fermented on a lot of trub, though the reasons were not entirely consistent.
Some very good reads on that site.[/quote]

The same results were reported maybe 10 years before that by a guy on the Brews and Views forum. I love Marshall’s experiences and appreciate the effort that goes into them, but I find a lot of them just go over things that were confirmed before he got into brewing. One of the upsides of being an old guy like me![/quote]
Yeah, I noticed that too, but I do appreciate that most of his tests are better done than typical. For the most part that does give them greater weight than what you typically see online, though there have been a few tests (like the hot side aeration experiment) where I think he was looking at the wrong things to make his conclusions. But it is amazing how few of the factors he tests turn out to make any difference in the finished beer. And I’ll bet that all of them have sparked heated discussions among homebrewers who have very strong opinions.

I agree with Denny and Rebuilt. The Exbeeriments are still a good reminder of things new brewers haven’t heard, even if the sample size is very small and they would need many replications to be bullet-proof science. Hopefully lots of brewers will read the results of the exbeeriments and say, “Hmmm? I wonder if that would apply to my system?” Then replicate the process - and report it.

This is something that we’ll be doing on the Experimental Brewing podcast. We’ll be outlining an experiment very specifically, from the brewing through the evaluation. We’ll ask our listeners to replicate the experiment and share their results. Hopefully the increased reporting will lead to greater data validity.