Triple Fermentation

Hello Everyone. Just received the Kiwi Express IPA Extract kit… Super excited to brew it. However I have a concern about dry hopping in the secondary (I’ve never dry hopped before). The directions say to add the hops to the secondary fermentor 5 days before bottling day… I fear that this will leave behind sediment in the bottles. I want a really clear beer. So I have two different ideas:

1.) Dry hop in the primary fermentor and then have the secondary solely for letting more trub settle.

2.) Dry hop in the secondary fermentor and transfer to a different tank to let the hop leftovers settle.

Is there a benefit to dry hopping in the secondary or why do the instructions call for that?

Has anyone ever racked to a 3rd stage to let the beer clear even more… Or can that have a negative outcome?

You don’t want tp dry hop while fermentation’s ongoing since co2 production may scrub some of the aroma and flavor of the dry hops.

On my only dry hopped batch, I made sure I had reached final gravity in primary, then dry hopped in primary using a mesh bag to contain hops. Ended up with a pretty clear beer-I was very careful while racking to my bottling bucket.

You could also cold crash the beer right before bottling, just let it warm back up to the 70s while it’s carbing.

Cheers,
Ron

There are many schools of thought here. You’ll have to make a decision and see how it works for you, your beer, and your system. One thing about homebrewing is people look at how commercial Brewers complete a task. While some procedures will translate over many others will not. This also demonstrates that there are many ways to do something with similar results.

I really appreciate your in-depth answer, loopie_beer.
Thank you.

I currently have this IPA in the secondary. I still need to learn what cold crashing is…

Cold crashing is putting your beer into a refrigerator as close to freezing as possible. The cold causes suspended particles in the beer to drop out. Near freezing takes the shortest amount of time.

1 Like

Does cold crashing have any effect on bottle conditioning?

No.

Thank you.

Carbonation calculators will ask you to input the temperature of the beer for calculating the amount of priming sugar to use. Don’t use the cold crash temperature. Use the highest temperature of the beer after fermentation, the end of CO2 production. Calculators use the temperature to roughly calculate how much CO2 may be left in solution.

A decent digital scale comes in handy here. Weighing the priming sugar to use is more accurate than volume measures. I found one at Walmart for $20. Very helpful for dividing a package of hops by the gram.

In case you haven’t found NB’s calculator yet.