Tried my FIRST bottle of Caribou Slobber

I finally tried my first EVER bottle of Caribou Slobber!!! It…was…AMAZING!!! I pryed off the cap and heard that great sound of CO2 being released. I poured it into a frosty mug and WOW!!! The best damn beer I could of asked for. It cleared up nicely and the only regret I have is I only made a one gallon batch!!!
Had to share. @digitalman87…You are going to love it!!!:beers:

2 Likes

Caribou Slobber is a great kit. 1gal batches suck! :joy: get ready to expand into at least 5gals!

All joking aside, welcome to the obsession!

2 Likes

Thanks @loopie_beer! I have been gathering items for the upgrade to 5 gal. batches while this was bottle conditioning. lol. I am also building a mini fridge fermentation chamber. Should hold at least 2 6.5 gal fermentors and blow off tube setups. I love this stuff!!!

1 Like

This is one of the beers. I brew. Lots. I love the taste and how it comes out. Congrats. On your beer. Welcome to the obsesion

Yep… you got it bad like many of us. Pretty soon you’ll be thinking about beer at all times…

1 Like

Yep, great beer. You’ll be crying when you drain that last bottle! The good thing about a 5 gallon kit is there were plenty to drink and age a bit because CS just keeps getting better.

I already do!!! lol

I drank my second one tonight and was thinking i better pace myself… only have 6 left now!!:worried:

I’ve had 8 bottles from a Caribou Slobber brew so far. It will take a little while to finish the other 40 since I have a few other beers to sample. Not too worried yet. There’s another 48 bottles waiting that are four weeks from beginning to sample.

1 Like

I agree, the Slobber is a great kit. I actually prefer the extract version over the all-grain.
I have 2 bottles left over from 2016’s batch, and 2017 is my next batch up.
mmmmmm, slobber…:beers:

1 Like

I’ve never even come close to aging some Slobber that long. Is the change in flavors well worth trying??

I did my Doppel bock a while ago, but I used a pound of chocolate malt, and of course, lager yeast. I’ve not had a CS, but have enjoyed many moose drool’. That said, I can tell you I have an awesome moose drool varietal of that style of brown ale, AND its great! I’m waiting a bit longer for it to clear so I can bottle this one. Sneezles61

1 Like

flars- yes, I think it gets better and better with age.
Knocked off work early today, went home and brewed my 2017 batch. Used 8G of maple sap for the strike and sparge liquor.

2 Likes

I’ll need to make an effort to save bottles longer than I have been.

How long was it in the fermentor and how long did you bottle condition?

I left it in the fermentor 3 weeks and bottle conditioned for 4 weeks. Was going to let it go to 6 weeks but my curiosity got the better of me.

1 Like

8 Gallons of sap? Holy Cow, How big of a batch do you make?

4g for mash and 4G for sparge. Total 6G batch because I forgot to account for the sugars in the sap and it came in with a higher OG than I wanted, so I diluted. To be honest, last year I got no noticeable maple character. This year I’m going to cheat and add some maple extract.
It was a PM batch, because I take NB’s extract version and add about 5lb. of various grains. OG=1.065.
The sap is flowing pretty good right now. I have 17 taps in with another 3 to put in. I’ll use another 12G of sap and boil it down to make a maple wine, then use the rest to actually make syrup.

2 Likes