Transplanting two year old crowns

I am throwing in the towel on the current location of my hops. Currently I am running a wire beetween two very tall Ash trees at 16’. I believe they are fighting the trees for sun and water, so I plan on digging up my four plants, replacing it with one 9’ blue spruce and moving the hops to a location where the conditions are more favorable. Any suggstions on things to watch out for when transplainhg plants that are currently growing (kind of)?

Let 'em finish out the season where they are and once the die back, dig and replant. You’ve got some time to leisurely prepare the new holes with some good stuff (compost) and get a support ready. Actually, you won’t be needing the support until next May. Just dig out about a foot or so and don’t worry about cutting off the roots. Once they’re back in the ground, new roots will begin to form until the soil freezes and they’ll take off like rockets next Spring. Hoppy Growing!

I agree, this far along just let them finish out and move next spring. Now for the spruce, I suggest putting in tobacco…they love the not-so sunny spots and they are nice to grow(then again, I have 40 tobacco plants and I don’t even smoke/chew…go figure :lol: