Transfer to keg under CO2 pressure

Notice @brewmanchu said “pretty sure”. . .the beer gear gods are forever calling. . .:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I’m gonna hafta show this thread to my wife and drop hints for my upcoming birthday. :joy:

:beers:
Rad

3 Likes

Take it apart and wash everything with dishwashing soap. Rinse well in very hot water. Then hit it with your PBW cycle/rinse/sanitize.

1 Like

Thanks @sneezles61 and @loopie_beer, I will do that for sure. Gonna brew Monday so cleaning the tank will give me something to do during mash and boil. 1st last bucket ferment for old time’s sake!

You’re right @radagast, we’ve all been in this game too long and know better than that. I’m just hoping I’m done buying for the rest of this year, maybe.

3 Likes

Yea, I agree wtih @loopie_beer something like dawn should help strip any residual manufacturing oils from it.

Just found another must have for the unitank.

1 Like

So my brew is fermenting in unitank now and I have a question…should the valve on blow off arm be open or closed? I have it closed right now and I noticed the tank has built up pressure (11 psi) since fermentation has started.

They valve should be open and a piece of tubing going down into a bucket… Consider this an air locked blow off tube…
Or…You could hold pressure back as you are doing now… Try your best not to get above, (as I understand it anywho) 15psi’s… You’ll be thinking its a spunding valve… Our local brewery uses one and claims his brews are done a few days earlier… Maybe another rabbit hole you might want to read and ponder?
Sneezles61

2 Likes

Thanks @sneezles61 I just did a little research on this. You’re spot on with the 15 psi max and it looks as if 10-12 psi is ideal. This style of fermenting may be useful in these NEIPA’s and will help the beer carb quicker. That being said, I installed a hose and a small jug of star san as if it’s my blow off tube. That release of gas smelled amazing so I can’t wait to taste this thing.

1 Like

Transferred my first brew from unitank to keg yesterday. I’m going to have to find a method for gathering the yeast but this was 5th use on this WLP 066 so I planned on dumping anyway. Wasn’t too bad of an experience and now I know what to expect for the next batch.

I thoroughly approve of all the images in this post! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

:beers:
Rad

If the ball valve has 1/2" threads… Brewhardware has a fitting that will thread to that… Then on the other end of that fitting, you can get a flared gas fitting… See, then you can just thread your gas hose(r) onto it… I use mine so much… not sure how I got along without it before…
Sneezles61

2 Likes

Thanks @sneezles61 I just checked that fitting out and yes, that would be perfect. Not sure why but that was the only fitting I wasn’t set up for. The unitank can be a little intimidating to think through at first but I think I did well for my first use.

1 Like

I saw what you had in the picture and thought you might like to see if there was another idea…
Sneezles61

I hooked the heating pad and chiller up on this batch as I was in a hurry to use the tank on last batch and got a little ahead of myself. I used a makeshift chilling tank that seems to do the trick. Glycol chiller would be an awesome addition, anybody know when those stimulus checks are coming? :joy:

3 Likes

I like what you have rigged up… If it works, it’s golden! Yeah, to have the actual glycol system would be the pinnacle…
That’ll be like dangling a carrot in front of the horse… Keep the wish list going!
Sneezles61

1 Like

@radagast predicted this would happen…I just got a sight glass for the yeast dump as well. The chilling system is awesome and definitely works for the time being.

1 Like

@brewmanchu are you planning on taking your butterfly valves apart after a few batches? I’ve been taking my unitank apart each batch and just soaking all the parts. No dead space like a ball valve but not sure what can get into the seal area especially if pressurizing. Not sure what to do think I’m on 4 batches in it so far. Rather not take them apart but curious if anything is hiding in them.

I haven’t thought about that yet to be honest but looking at them I’m not sure it’s necessary. After the first use, I soaked everything and did CIP and will do so after every batch.

Why is this fitting so hard to find? Brewhardware has it and I found 1 on eBay. Nvm, 1 on ebay is brass

I would not use brass… I don’t recall what metal/element it is… but with lower pH it gets leached out… It seems I read somewhere in the beverage industry, they are not to use brass and replace it with SS…
Take picture of that piece of the puzzle… See if I can’t zoom in closer and help you locate the gizmo…
Sneezles61