Transfer to keg under CO2 pressure

Thanks for posting that @brewmanchu Pretty Lopsided comparison of features and accessories…

I don’t think you could go wrong with either. For me I love my Spike kettle. Also the lower price point to start off and build the system with the added accessories over time was a benefit for me.

Can’t wait to hear what you think @brewmanchu when you get your first batch in it!

1 Like

Trust me I always do my research before buying ANYTHING and I really liked the SS over the SB. I was going to hold off on the heating and chilling add-ons but the price down the road was far greater than just adding everything right now and I had the means to do it and wife’s approval. Anxious to get a batch going now!

When the wife says OK… Best to pull the trigger immediately !!
Sneezles61

5 Likes

Just ordered all the parts that I need to CIP and they should be here by end of week. I found everything I needed from sources then than the manufacturer but this thing is still killing my pockets. Hope it pays off in the end!

Guess that depends on what you mean by “pays off”. If you sold the wife on some kind of bogus business case with a ROI…you’re in trouble bro. haha Sure is cool looking though! Definitely some fancy fermenter envy going on here.

Lmao, true story @dannyboy58. I guess I mean to just make better beer overall with a little less hassle, per se. Carbing in the fermenter and pressure transfers along with a temperature controlled environment should help the cause.

1 Like

Yeah, homebrewing is never about saving money, even if that brewer thinks it is. Its all about making a quality product and enjoying the process.
OTOH you should be able to make some rocking good NEIPA’s now…

2 Likes

Yeah I’d never recover the funds I’ve spent nor do I plan to. It’s a hobby that I’ve become super passionate about and love learning and enjoying the process.

My brews have usually been very good but I want to take it to the next level. I entered a few more comps and looking forward to hearing more feedback.

3 Likes

I believe you will gain another level in your brewing with by just pushing brew with CO2…
In my eyes… or thinnin’… if I can crank out brews just as good, if not better than the local breweries… I’m saving some money… I’m seeing 6-ers going for $12.'s!! Once you do the math from what it costs you for ingredients… Then compare to what the licensed guys are selling their suds for… then you can figure how you are paying for all that bling…
You have a lifetime investment right there! I’ll be awaiting your report!
Sneezles61

2 Likes

In addition a few ounces of PBW for CIP will add up pretty quickly vs using 8oz and letting it soak over night. Plus the water savings. I’m not saying it will pay for itself but it’s a dent. And as @sneezles61 said saving $$ on commercial beer. Although it hasn’t slowed me down… :joy:

3 Likes

Yinz have some very good points for sure. We have 2 local breweries that are doing very well and pumping out great product but the rest are pretty much crap. It seems that these guys have more money than brains and only last a few years. @sneezles61 where the heck ya getting $12 6ers? Heineken cost that here so I’d be stoked to get some good craft for 12 bucks :joy: It seems my commercial game keeps growing when I thought it would trend the opposite direction. My beer fridge is packed full and a buddy is at Tree House as we speak :scream:
I’ve always used Oxiclean for my cleaning needs but I think I’ll actually buy PBW for this vessel and you’re spot on with the savings from CIP @loopie_beer. I’m planning on a brew day Monday while using the old system (buckets and swamp coolers) and I’ll clean the new rig up during this time as well.

1 Like

@sneezles61 where the heck ya getting $12 6ers?

PBR?

1 Like

Most craft brews were at 10.00 about 2 months ago… PBR 12-ers are at 14.00…
No way can you guys move up here and drink all this cheap craft stuff then… er, I mean down here… Way down south… You wouldn’t be interested… :roll_eyes:
Sneezles61

1 Like

Getting a little off topic but… Everything down here seems to be expensive Victory Golden Monkey is $13, Dogfishhead 90 $15 Publix actually had Goose Island IPA bogo last week. Yes I know Goose is AB Inbev. I can get some good Florida beers for a better price. Some Coppertail brewing beers like Unholy for around $10. It flies off the shelf though.

Some of these breweries may transfer under CO2 pressure. There back on topic :grinning:

3 Likes

@hd4mark those prices make it justifiable to spend an $20 average on very high quality 4 packs.

All of the parts have finally arrived. Never been so excited to clean! :smirk:

5 Likes

damn…I’ma have to stop lookin at this thread…that thing gets sexier every time you post a picture.

3 Likes

Lol. I’m pretty sure this is the sexiest it’s going to get!

So, from what I’ve read, TSP is recommended for initial cleaning. Should I use that or would PBW work just as well?

PBW and really hot water to make sure any residual oils are removed…
Damn, need my sunglasses!! :sunglasses: Now I can see the bling! Holy mother of stainless steel!! ( then you hear a thud on the floor as I tipped over) :dizzy_face:
Snnezers61