Transfer Caribou Slobber to secondary after first two weeks

I’m a first time brewer, originally I had planned on leaving the Caribou Slobber in the primary and never transferring to secondary, but now I’ve changed my mind since I want to try another recipe. It’s been in primary for 2 1/2 weeks, would there be any problems with transferring to secondary now that its outside the 1 - 2 week window or should I just leave it be?

Also, I was going to leave it in primary because I didn’t have a secondary to transfer it to.

If you have not purchased a “secondary”, don’t. Just get another vessel big enough to make your next beer in.

If you have, there is no “window”. You can move it from one vessel to another, as many times as you want.

Frankly, at 2.5 weeks, I would just bottle the Slobber. It should not need any more aging.

If its good to bottle at 2.5 weeks, why do the instructions say to hold in the first for 1-2 weeks, secondary 2-4 weeks and 1 -2 weeks in bottle conditioning?

Because the instructions are wrong. They are very conservative and designed to sell more equipment.

hahahaha Ok!

Caribou Slobber is a brown ale with a medium gravity/alcohol content. IME (you decide what works for you) this beer can be bottled and consumed young. It won’t be hurt to let it bulk age for longer.

If you need to order another fermenter, bottle this one and brew your next.

If you can get a fermenter locally, buy one that is big enough to be a “primary”.

If you want to “secondary” a beer, you can do it in a 6 gallon carboy.

Ok, I have a 5 gallon carboy that should be here tomorrow. But based on what you guys are saying, I’ll just leave things be a little longer (when I get time to bottle) then bottle.

Don’t try to make a 5 gallon batch of beer in a 5 gallon carboy. You will have a mess when the krausen blows out the air lock. Unless you use a large blow off tube.

http://www.examiner.com/article/build-y ... w-off-tube

My primary is a 6.5 gallon fermenting bucket.