Tour of my BIAB Stand

A quick video tour

of my new stand.

[quote=“Chris-P”]A quick video tour

of my new stand.[/quote]
Nice work Chris!

[quote=“Chris-P”]A quick video tour

of my new stand.[/quote]

Nice job. I’m assuming you brew 10 gal. batches?

Very cool.

Very impressive. That’s in the works for my next project. I have the exact same pot and burner.

So tell me more about the BIAB process. Are you using the brew pot for your mash tun? I don’t totally understand what you are doing there.

[quote=“Helvetica”]

Nice job. I’m assuming you brew 10 gal. batches?[/quote]

Yeah, i do 5 and 10 gal batches.

[quote=“Scalded Dog”]

So tell me more about the BIAB process. Are you using the brew pot for your mash tun? I don’t totally understand what you are doing there.[/quote]

Long story short… You do everything in one vessel (mash, sparge, boil, whirlpool). When you are done mashing, you lift that nylon bag out of your kettle (which holds your grain), then let it drain or squeeze it. And you’re good to start your boil. Some BIAB-ers do a sparge also, but in a traditional BIAB, there’s no sparge; you start with all the water you need in your kettle.

[quote=“Scalded Dog”]

So tell me more about the BIAB process. Are you using the brew pot for your mash tun? I don’t totally understand what you are doing there.[/quote]

Long story short… You do everything in one vessel (mash, sparge, boil, whirlpool). When you are done mashing, you lift that nylon bag out of your kettle (which holds your grain), then let it drain or squeeze it. And you’re good to start your boil. Some BIAB-ers do a sparge also, but in a traditional BIAB, there’s no sparge; you start with all the water you need in your kettle.

[quote=“Chris-P”][quote=“Scalded Dog”]

Long story short… You do everything in one vessel (mash, sparge, boil, whirlpool). When you are done mashing, you lift that nylon bag out of your kettle (which holds your grain), then let it drain or squeeze it. And you’re good to start your boil. Some BIAB-ers do a sparge also, but in a traditional BIAB, there’s no sparge; you start with all the water you need in your kettle.[/quote]

Chris,
Very cool and thank you for the explanation. Today 90% of my brews are martial mash. I’m going to 10 gal batches very soon and it just dawned on me that what you are doing with BIAB will work for my big 10 gallon partial mash brews. I was wondering how I was going to do that in the kitchen, but now I won’t have to. This will make my wife very happy as well.

Sooner or later I will go to all grain, just not quite ready yet…

BTW how do you like that chiller? One of my buddies is a serious master brewer and he keeps telling me not to purchase a plate chiller because it’s too easy to clog and holds dried grains etc…he recommends a CF combined with an immersion chiller, but I really like that compact plate chiller. It fits well on a small stand.

[quote=“Scalded Dog”][quote=“Chris-P”][quote=“Scalded Dog”]

BTW how do you like that chiller? One of my buddies is a serious master brewer and he keeps telling me not to purchase a plate chiller because it’s too easy to clog and holds dried grains etc…he recommends a CF combined with an immersion chiller, but I really like that compact plate chiller. It fits well on a small stand.[/quote][/quote][/quote]

I have used the plate chiller for about 4 brews now and have been extremely pleased with the results. I’m chilling my wort significantly faster than my old immersion chiller. One pass through the chiller and my wort is down to pitching temps.

I have yet to get hop debris or trub stuck in the chiller, but I too have read that this can be a problem. To combat that you can use a hop sock / hop spider, which I do; and it works very well. I have also read that you can do a whirlpool (in lieu of the hop sock) and let the hop debris settle into a nice cone before you begin pumping through the chiller. I have not yet tried this method.

Chris,
I whirlpooled on my last batch. It didn’t really help that much. That pot you have (like mine) holds about a gallon of liquid below the spigot, so you have to tip it to get out all the wort and then the trub gets in the fermentor. I also used a hop bag which I know a few folks don’t like but I find it helps more than whirpooling. Anyway I spent the last hour watching BIAB videos on youtube and now have more questions. I won’t bogart your thread, but will start a new one on BIAB and partial mash. I’m actually getting away from kits and have started creating my own recipes. If the one I have now is good I will brew it again in a 10 gal batch and will definitely try the BIAB method.

Very nice

Very nice build Chris. Looks very solid and you have all your tools right there. I too, have contemplated purchasing a plate chiller to replace my IC but I hear lots of horror stories about them. I will have my buddy check this thread out as he uses and loves the BIAB method. Very well done!!

:cheers:

Nice work Chris! I am going to build an electic BIAB rig this year. :cheers:

[quote=“Scalded Dog”]Chris,
I whirlpooled on my last batch. It didn’t really help that much. That pot you have (like mine) holds about a gallon of liquid below the spigot, so you have to tip it to get out all the wort and then the trub gets in the fermentor.[/quote]

For this very reason I put a 90* elbow on the inside of the ball valve which drains nearly all of the wort; leaving behind maybe a quart or so.

looks great. But way build a “stand” for a single burner?

I don’t get the need. The burner was already a stand.

[quote=“muddywater_grant”]looks great. But way build a “stand” for a single burner?

I don’t get the need. The burner was already a stand.[/quote]

Mainly, I wanted something on casters I could easily move. And I wanted a structure I could attach my pump, chiller and switch to. Previously they were just sitting on the ground

[quote=“Chris-P”][quote=“muddywater_grant”]looks great. But way build a “stand” for a single burner?

I don’t get the need. The burner was already a stand.[/quote]

Mainly, I wanted something on casters I could easily move. And I wanted a structure I could attach my pump, chiller and switch to. Previously they were just sitting on the ground[/quote]

I’m really torn right now between doing something similar, maybe a 2 tier, OR building an electric brewery inside so that I can plumb in the water lines and all.

[quote=“dannyboy58”][quote=“Chris-P”][quote=“muddywater_grant”]looks great. But way build a “stand” for a single burner?

I’m really torn right now between doing something similar, maybe a 2 tier, OR building an electric brewery inside so that I can plumb in the water lines and all.[/quote][/quote][/quote]

Yeah, electric systems are pretty cool. But the one thing you still need to consider; even with electric, is that you’ll need to install a ventilation system / hood so you’re not boiling off gallons of water into your interior ceiling. It will create unnecessary moisture and eventually mold and warp wood in your home.

Yeah, electric systems are pretty cool. But the one thing you still need to consider; even with electric, is that you’ll need to install a ventilation system / hood so you’re not boiling off gallons of water into your interior ceiling. It will create unnecessary moisture and eventually mold and warp wood in your home.[/quote]

Yup, that’s the one aspect I’m still trying to figure out. I’m wondering if I could plumb the exhaust for a vent hood right into the exhaust for my hot water heater so I won’t have to cut another hole in the foundation to vent it out.