Too sweet

Due to an error on my part, i did not get enough IBU on a Munich Helles which has been lager-ed and is in the keg (12.8 vs. 16-22). Any suggestions as to how to make this a more drinkable beer.

Thanks

Tough to add bitterness after the fact. You could take a pint of the beer and simmer a small amount of hops for 30-60 minutes, then add it back to the keg a little at a time until you get the bitterness you want. Or, brew another beer and make it too bitter, then blend in the glass.

Thanks for the reply, I’ll try it. Would simmering get the bitterness out of the hops or would i need to boil?

Simmer is fine.

Why not just get some hop extract (the “bittering” variety) and use that? I’ve had to use this stuff once or twice and it worked quite well for making the necessary post ferment adjustments.

[quote=“The Professor”]Why not just get some hop extract (the “bittering” variety) and use that? I’ve had to use this stuff once or twice and it worked quite well for making the necessary post ferment adjustments.[/quote]Don’t you have to boil it to get the bitterness and to get the oil to go into solution?

No. The bitterness has already been extracted. The extracted ‘oil’ is designed to be used in finished beer without the need for any boiling. There are some that require dilution in alcohol first but the ones I’ve used didn’t any special treatment at all…just add to the finished beer.
I will also say that it is pretty potent stuff. It didn’t take very much to raise the bitter level. And there was no negative aspect to it’s use…it did the job and did it well.

Commercial brewers use it frequently to adjust the brews to consistency (and by using isomerized extract they also can, if desired, significantly reduce the danger of beers becoming ‘light struck’).

I tried the simmering of hops in the finished beer and added a little to my glass. It helped to kill the sweetness but seem to change the beer, not only the bitterness. Where can i find the extract? Is it homebrew shop item? I made 3 five gallon batches from the yeast so i have plenty to try to come up with a solution for. I am considering brewing a 5 gal batch with double hops and blend to make 4 five gallon batches. Dealing with Lagers ties up 4 of my kegs or carboys for a while.

I am going to post how i got in to this, perhaps you will help me understand where i went wrong.

Thanks.