Too Much Hops?!?

Maybe the home brewing friend brews Mr. Beer kits.

Ha, perhaps. But it really sounds to me that he’s a pretty novice beer drinker. I mean, seriously, there’s beer I’ve ordered where I think “Meh, this is not very good”, but I still drink it! I paid for it. There’s been one, maybe two times ever that I’ve ordered a beer and couldn’t finish it because it tasted bad, and the time I remember was an pumpkin imperial stout with WAY too much nutmeg in it. Gross. This was a session beer, supposedly light in flavor, but too hoppy?? Come on dude…like someone else said, MAN UP. Sure it may not be your favorite, but undrinkable? Hmmm…

Besides, there is plenty of variety for new comer’s to choose from. Most people I hear that drink macro beer all say that craft beer is too dark, not too hoppy. “I don’t drink that DARK beer.” Those people just kill me! They’re the same people that define drinking as going out to a bar and getting drunk. Alright, I’m done ranting.

[quote=“Beersk”]But it really sounds to me that he’s a pretty novice beer drinker.[/quote]I’d be willing to bet that the author just made up the entire sequence to set up the story.

This thread is highly entertaining! It brings up memories of so many ridiculous statements by close minded, non craft beer drinkers. I have a friend who thinks my Irish stout is too hoppy! Another one says he doesn’t care for craft beers because they’re too expensive and all taste the same!!! He’s the same SOB that killed my Belgian dubbel supply last time he was over! Took my 74 year old mom, who’s never been a drinker, out for dinner the other night. She took a sip of my black ipa and said “that’s not beer, it tastes good!” I could go on and on, but my point is peoples tastes evolve if they’re open to trying different styles. What’s too hoppy for some is boring for others. This is why we need to create all styles including hop bombs. I used to think Spotted Cow was one of the best beers on the planet. Now I’ll trade 2 of them for a Hopalicious!! Try 'em all, weed out the ones you don’t like, but NEVER push aside a free beer!! :cheers:

I think we can safely rule out that it was the quality of the beer. Hopworks makes good beer and since it was probably brewed on the premises, I don’t think it was stale. Count me among those who is perplexed that a homebrewer could find a 30 IBU English Bitter undrinkable because it’s too hoppy.

My focus is on american ales and german lagers. Right now I have on tap a vienna, a czech pils and a hoppy american stout. On deck in kegs are: hoppy brown ale, dortmunder, dopplebock, black ipa and am brewing an amber ale this weekend.

that’s exactly what I would do if I were brewing professionally, so I don’t get where he can generalize that all craft brewers overhop - 3 of the eight beers I listed above are <25ibus and have only one or two kettle additions :shock:

Or an alt. My son-in-law doesn’t like the real hoppy beers done with the Cs, but was fine with a hoppy alt brewed with with spalt hops. He is also okay with my pale ale that has a fair amount of glacier hops along with the malt to balance it.[/quote]

Yeah-there is a lot more to hops than IBU’s. There is a big difference in flavor between noble hops, english hops, and some of the newer varieties at the same IBU levels. I’ve learned to talk to friends about what kind of beers they like to try to figure out if a certain type of hopping is going to bother them.

Has to be, right? The author is only making herself sound less credible, in my opinion, by saying she has hop lotion and soap, blah blah blah. Why does she care if this person didn’t like an “over hopped” 30 IBU English bitter? Get the guy something else or make him choke it down. He’s either a super taster or a supreme wuss. I still can’t get over how the author put the time and effort into writing an article of so little importance and value.

Totally agree with over admiration of extreme hopped craft beers. Look at the IPA demand! I personally never brew brew “hoppy” beers. Hoppy beers take away from the true flavors expressed in crafting a beer. Just my taste I reckon