Too Much Head

Is there an easy way to tell if my excessive foam is due to overcarbonation vs. some other factor like beer line length? etc

You could turn down the pressure until it just trickles into your glass. I think an over carbed beer will remain over carbed after the foam drops. Pour into a pitcher first, then pour it into a glass and taste.

Okay, so if the beer isn’t overcarbonated is it the line length, or are there other variables beyond that to consider?

Without knowing your system, my first guess is the line length. It’s a cheap test to just buy 10ft and test it out. You can then cut out a foot at a time until your system is balanced at serving pressure. I know the starter kits only come with 5ft of line. Theoretically, that was the right length at serving pressure for me, but it always foamed until I moved to 10ft.

I do have one corny keg that does foam up for some reason, but I just use it to hold star san now.

:oops: I was expecting something different in this topic.

[quote=“breslinp”]Without knowing your system, my first guess is the line length. It’s a cheap test to just buy 10ft and test it out. You can then cut out a foot at a time until your system is balanced at serving pressure. I know the starter kits only come with 5ft of line. Theoretically, that was the right length at serving pressure for me, but it always foamed until I moved to 10ft.

I do have one corny keg that does foam up for some reason, but I just use it to hold star san now.[/quote]

Right on, I’ll try a 10’ line. Thanks all

If you have a picnic tap setup it would be pretty easy to test. If you don’t have one, they’re real cheap to make & always seem to come in handy. I even use one to keep a 32 oz spray bottle full of StarSan off a keg a couple times a week. You could either compare 2 kegs against each other or compare your faucet to the picnic tap off the same keg.

I also have a problem with foamy beer. My serving pressure is @ 8 psi. I carbed @ 30 psi for 3 days and cut it back to 12 for 3 days then 8 to serve.Even @ a trickle its still foamy. Ill also try the longer line cause mine is 5’ too.

so weird I’ve been kegging for about 10 batches and have never had this problem.

Shot in the dark, but is everyone here who is having this issue bleeding headspace pressure prior to serving?

I will always turn back my regulator to 1-2psi, bleed, let it pump 1-2psi of CO2 back in, then serve. I have a 3’ line FWIW and have never gotten a full glass of foam, unless I leave the serving pressure at over 5psi.

How long does it take to pour a full pint?

Seems to me you just balanced your system at a low pressure. Which is fine of course, but it would make me suspect a fairly slow flow rate. IIRC 8oz in 10 seconds is industry standard? Could be a bit off, it’s been a while since I heard/read that.

Seems to me you just balanced your system at a low pressure. Which is fine of course, but it would make me suspect a fairly slow flow rate. IIRC 8oz in 10 seconds is industry standard? Could be a bit off, it’s been a while since I heard/read that.[/quote]

I’m probably right around 10 seconds, maybe 15? If i ratchet it up to 4-5psi its probably in the 5-7 second range.

Seems to me you just balanced your system at a low pressure. Which is fine of course, but it would make me suspect a fairly slow flow rate. IIRC 8oz in 10 seconds is industry standard? Could be a bit off, it’s been a while since I heard/read that.[/quote]

I’m probably right around 10 seconds, maybe 15? If i ratchet it up to 4-5psi its probably in the 5-7 second range.[/quote]

Doesn’t seem very slow. I guess what really matters is that the system is balanced & you’re pouring good pints. :cheers: