Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Too much Caramunich mixed in! Doh!

Making Jamil’s standard saison today:

10.5# pilsner
.75# wheat malt
.75# munich
1# table sugar

it is supposed to have 2oz of caramunich, but instead I measured, milled, and then MIXED with the rest of the grain .75 LBS (12oz) of caramunich. Yes, six times the recipe (but still under 6% of the total grain bill; 5.4% of total fermentables).

I know caramunich will add body, caramel, and sweetness (the latter very NOT appropriate for the style), HOWEVER, here is the catch:

I am planning on doing a secondary fermentation with this beer with 3-4lbs of fresh cranberries for our brewing guild Christmas party. Would this sweetness help to balance out the tartness/sourness of the cranberries, or will it simply just be too much? The good thing is, I have kind of written off hitting my color completely, as I’ve read around the interwebs that cranberries will add a brownish color to the beer anyway.

Could I kick up the table sugar or add a half lb of honey?

Do any of the other people at your Christmas party know what you were planning to make? Then this is exactly what you were trying to do. A Chrismas Cranberry Caramel Saison - just like you planned it.

Yeah, I’m just trying to figure out if its going to taste like sh!t…

With everything else going on, you won’t even notice the extra caramel malt.

Thats a good point. Fruit beers the fruit usually overtakes all. (in fact, I covered up my one and only band-aid beer - American Wheat with a secondary of dried apricots).

The tartness of the cranberry will probably need the extra sweetness of the Caramunich for balance.

Well done, it must have been sheer instinct. That’s what I always chalk those things up to…

:cheers:

[quote=“ynotbrusum”]The tartness of the cranberry will probably need the extra sweetness of the Caramunich for balance.

Well done, it must have been sheer instinct. That’s what I always chalk those things up to…

:cheers: [/quote]

mmmyeah! yah! Extra malt sweetness/depth to balance out the cranberries!

I can already see myself with arms folded at the Xmas party explaining why I bumped up Jamil’s inadequate caramunich levels to balance out the cranberries.

God I’m creative.

I brewed a hefeweizen with 3 lbs of caramunich instead of 3 oz. I got through about a third of the keg before I finally tossed it. Naming it Caraweizen did not help.

overall, successful brewday, gravity came out at 1.064, a few points higher than his recipe (1.060), We’ll see how it tastes!

[quote=“Pietro”]…gravity came out at 1.064, a few points higher than his recipe (1.060)…[/quote]An extra half-lb of crystal will do that! :wink:

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com