Too much beer head

Even though I have kegged now for a couple of years, since I have moved something is going on with my kegging system. I’m getting way too much beerhead. I like having an inch, an inch and a half at most and never had a problem until I put my equipment back together. The two things that are different since I moved is the CO2 tank is now stored outside and my original pressure regulator was damaged and I had to buy a new one but I do not think it is the regulator. I contacted Northern Brewer and they suggested I cut my lines down from 10 to 5 feet which I did. I also released pressure frequently from the top over the weekend and then today I got a chance two try it out since reducing my regulator pressure to 8 PSI. before I always used 10 - 12 PSI. Still too much beerhead. It’s a waste. Does anybody have any other suggestions? I am wondering at this point if I should just totally unsaturated my beer and start pressurizing all over again.

I am confused by NB telling you to shorten your lines. Typically in my experience excessive foam comes from too short of lines, too much pressure, and overcarbonation. Is your kegerator set to the same temp in the new house? My lines are roughly 5’ and I serve right around 8 psi. My CO2 tank sits outside the kegerator as well. When you were releasing pressure, did you have your CO2 shut off? Sounds like you will definitely need to bleed down your kegs a bit. I’d suggest starting your new regulator down at 2 psi once you’ve bled off enough of the excess and then bump it up until you get the pour you are looking for.

Here is a simple online calculator that may help you with necessary adjustments.

:beers:
Rad

1 Like

I completely agree with you about the keg lines. I thought the longer the better but the way it was explained to me is that sometimes long lines can create resistance which can create foam. Who was I to argue. When I cut the lines down it didn’t make it worse and in fact it might have helped somewhat but I think you have nailed it because that’s what I was trying an hour ago. I have my regulator at 5 PSI but maybe I should try something lower until it comes out of saturation enough to quit producing so much foam

1 Like

Update: I decided to actually uncap my kegs. I’m going to leave it that way for a couple of hours and then put it back on and put my regulator at 4 PSI. Maybe they were just so over carbonated to begin with. I will say those kegs started out with the old pressure regulator which could have been reading 10 psi and actually been 30 PSI. Who knows at this point but I’m listening to anybody that might have any advice for me. Carbonating beer is pretty simple so I am guessing that it is just way oversaturated at high PSI.

What are you serving out of? Tower? Picnic tap? Tap out of a collar? Could be the beer is warming up too much now.

You could even just pull the gas lines off, tap some brews until all settles down… Do turn the reg down so nothing, zero pressure rehook and open the tapper… give it just a bit of gas to pour… add just a bit more pressure each pour until you reach the perfect pour you enjoy! I did get my keezer up and working recently… About 14" lines with picnic taps for now… works fine… I have my tank out side… Sneezles61

I need to start learning to add more information. I built a Kegerator out of a side-by-side refrigerator almost 3 years ago. I have three taps and all serving hoses are in side and shield.

@sneezles61

I’m getting ready to put the tops back on my beer and set regulator at 4 PSI. I will check the regulator pressure periodically but I will probably do a pour when I get up in the morning and I will give an update in the evening. So I am thinking if it was over carbonated say 20 even possibly 25 psi with a bad regulator then even releasing the pop-off valve periodically would not get it down to proper serving pressure. I hope I’m thinking about that right. The only thing to do is just let it unsaturate. I hope a couple of hours is enough. I think my mistake was thinking that when I released the safety valves a few times that since it wasn’t pouring out of the tap I had relieved enough pressure and that is not true. If I had waited even 10 more minutes that keg would have been pressurized again because it is so over carbonated. Am I thinking about that right?

@loopie_beer

1 Like

Yeah it’s over carbed. Your beer lines should be cold in that fridge. The only other thing is the shorter lines, and making sure they aren’t getting kinked in the fridge. With all 3 foaming like that its most definitely over carbed.

Update: this morning I just poured some beer from all three TAPS at 4 PSI and the head looks better but not normal. The beer itself taste pretty great… What I am wondering is at 4 PSI will it be carbonated enough? I am going to continue to tweak until I get it where it needs to be. I have never heard of a 4 to 5 PSI serving pressure. I have another beer that’s getting ready to go into the serving line so it will have to be carbonated at 4 to 5 PSI and even though it may take longer to saturated, that should be okay right? Hopefully as time goes on I will give this dialed in because that low of serving pressure I have never heard of so the kegs I’m assuming must have been super over carbonated due to a faulty regulator reading. Thanks for all the help and if you know of a similar circumstance please let me know. Thank you

Your serving pressure depends on the temp of the fridge and desired volumes of CO2. At 40° and 4psi your volume of CO2 is 1.75 which is under carbed. At 40° most will shoot for 9-11 psi based on the beer being served.

Since your kegging I’m assuming your looking at volume of CO2 chart to carb your beer?

I serve at 38 degrees and I’m still dialing this thing in. I’m looking at this as a big learning curve and good experience. Right now I am at 8 PSI. my goal is 10 psi according to my chart. Earlier in my kegging days I served at 41 degrees and I usually had it dialed into 11.5 or 12 PSI but it will be Saturday until I see if I can reach that because I will have some regular pours on Saturday night from all three taps

I would say, they were in the fridge with the tops off, and the CO2 will pretty much stay in solution or very slowly escape… At room temp, it would about clear its self just about over night… that’s a nice looking setup you have there! I wouldn’t go by a pressure setting, rather adjust until you find your desired preference! Adjusting will take a day or two to settle in… Sneezles61
Also… just like an air compressor, even a garden hose for that matter, the longer the distance the more pressure required to move it there…

My two taprite regs vary just a little bit…one i can pour fine at about 6 psi…and other is around 10 psi…i just live with it and adjust accordingly :grinning:

My hoses are about 10feet. And co2 tank outside. Do run my psi setting about 8 to 10 psi. Seems to work perfect.

I’m just wondering is it just the first pour thats foamy. My first pour is a bit foamy but subsequent pours are fine. I just pour a short one first and set it aside then I pour my glass and it generally seems fine. My system is similar to yours but the lines come out and through a wall to my taps maybe 2’ outside but insulated. I just figured the foam was from those 2’

1 Like

Maybe you are getting some back warmth from you faucets in the heated room.