Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Too much alcohol?!?!?

I know i should calculate SG and FG. but when i started brewing i didnt make a habbit of it. I was happy as long as my beer taste good. Now, by beer does taste good, but i can tell there is too much alcohol. 2 beers and ur pretty buzzed.

Anyone have any suggestions? I know i could measure, but all that is going to do is affirm what i already know… high abv.

Could be high alcohol…or fusel alcohols.

1 Like

This is really too vague to assist in any way. For some 6% may be too much; for others 10+% may be too much.

If you don’t want high ABV brews then stay away from styles that typically call for high ABV- DIPA, RIS, barleywine, etc.

A quick and simple way to tell if a beer is high ABV is its targeted gravity. For example, a beer with an OG of 1.045 will have approximately 4.5%; 1.060 will be around 6%. It’s a rough figure but gives you an idea.

1 Like

I guess my suggestion would be to just stick to one… can you post your recipe?

1 Like

Just add more water. That’s what Inbev does. :smiley:

4 Likes

Only thing i could say stay away from the high gravity beers. I do like to brew beers. With a grav of 1.075 1.060. So my. Brew . Will be around. 6.5 % while for my wife and daughter. 1.055. So about. 4.5 to 5.0%

A hydrometer is a absolute “must have” brewing tool. You will not know how you lives without one. That said, a lot of things may contribute to the 2 beer buzz. Empty stomach and how fast you downed them come to mind. I also noticed that your mind set changes things. Worked all week and got home to have a couple on Friday and that relaxed “thank you” feeling get is great.

Posting the recipe would be helpful though.

1 Like

I posted a simple calculation a while ago that could estimate what your gravity could be from knowing your weight of the grain bill, and the volume of water you’ll finish with… That will give you a very close idea… I don’t know how to find that, so you’ll have to find it, if you are curious… Sneezles61

You are such a tease :slight_smile:

Given that efficiency and volume are generally constant for each person, the equation should be:

weight of grain in pounds * that magical constant

(hint, see edit 1)

1 Like

Yes, and I used 80%… Maybe too high expectation? Sneezles61

So what does one of your recipes look like?
Do you, and if so, how do you control temps during fermentation?

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com