Too early to dry hop?

First batch worries here. I made my first batch which was the SMaSH session ale last Friday. Fermentation kicked off really nicely but once day 5 hit it looks like it stopped completely and now the yeast has fallen to the bottom and it looks pretty clear. Is there any reason to leave it alone for another day or two before I dry hop it? Did fermentation stop too soon?

I dry hop during fermentation

What was the batch size? One of the most common beginning misunderstandings, that we have all made, is to equate a lack of visual activity with actual activity. Your yeast is still working away most likely and only gravity readings will be able to tell you when it truly done fermenting.

5 gallons

Me dry hop in fermentor after i take some grav test and sample. If my grav is constant. After few tests me do dryhop

1 Like

Welcome to the forum! It sounds as though all went well…
What was the temp you fermented at? If it was warm, it may be about done, completely… In either event, dry hopping now is an excellent idea… You may see a few more bubbles occurring… Keep us updated too! Sneezles61

Never to early to dry hop. On my IPA I’ll start on day 3 of fermentation and toss some in every 3 days until kegging. This way there is always hop material falling through the wort/beer

1 Like

Salad with you brew? Sneezles61

I personally think during really high activity is too early. If you can smell the hop aroma coming out of the bubbler that’s a loss.

A slight loss of airomatics maybe, but on the small scale of homebrewing the benefits outweigh the cost IMO

agree, but waiting one more day works just as well IMO

So you prefer 4,7,10 . I like to imagine little yeast balloons continually lifting the hop material up to sink back down leaving some hop goodness behind.

1 Like

I definitely prefer the staggering approach.

When walking?:grimacing: Sneezles61

1 Like

skipping in that case

1 Like

Was that a 2-mile skip this past weekend?

2 Likes

I did get some looks now that I think of it

2 Likes