In laws bought me a Fresh squished IPA from Midwest. It was an extract kit but I wasn’t going to turn it down. It was kind of a last minute decision to brew. Went pretty well with a few issues.
Started off with steeping grains. Pulled out my Anova filled up a pot with 1.5 gallons and set it to 155° threw the grains in once heated. Set the timer for 20 minutes and basically walked away. Verifed temp with my Thermapen a couple times. That part was awesome. Added that amount to the 5 gallons in my kettle. Figured starting with 6.5 would be perfect so a slight top off after grain absorption. For the heck of it I checked the gravity of the steeping grains in 1.5 gallons on my new digital refractometer it was 0.2 plato.
Went outside and fired up the propane burner. Kept it covered got it close to boiling and put in the 6 pounds of Gold LME. Stirred like crazy and took a small sample. Figured I would keep the lid half way on. Went inside and sure enough a small boil over. Ran outside and stirred it and adjusted the heat. Wasn’t too bad. Then added first hop addition 1oz of Nugget and put the lid half way on again and stupidly had another small boil over. So I pulled the lid off completely.
I wasn’t exactly ready to brew kind of rushed it. Didn’t have everything planned out. Around 15 minutes left I added rest of LME 3.15 lbs. Threw in my hydra chiller. Screwed up the timing because the directions always end up confusing me with the wordage and times. So I put in 1/2 of whirlfloc at 10 mins and 2oz Mosaic and 1 oz Citra at 10 mins and not 5 mins for the hops.
Then found out my 100ft hose had frozen water in it. Had to bring it inside to the basement and defrost it. Which was a pain. So I shut off the burner before I had hose ready. Finally got it thawed out. Hooked it up and man the chiller worked amazing super cold day and ground water helped a lot with some stirring. Brought it down to 63° in no time.
Brought kettle inside pulled a sample and checked volume. 13.8 plato and just shy of 6 gallons. So I messed up on the volume slightly and ended up with 1.055 and not 1.064. Maybe didn’t get all the extract out of the jugs and not enough boil off and higher volume. Stirred it and took another sample same reading. Left some behind in the kettle and transferred into 6 gallon carboy.
Ended up just straight pitching yeast because I didn’t want to have to adjust yeast temp closer to 63° after rehydrating in 95-100° water. Also didn’t have time to do that before hand.
Brought carboy downstairs which is a little chiller than I wanted around 60°. Put it in the chest freezer with a temp control probe insulated on the side of it with that one controlling cooling. Used my other temp control probe to measure air temp with Lasko My Heat plugged in. So I could warm the air without it over heating or shutting itself off. Set the air temp controller to 64° and wort temp controller to 63°. Might bring it up a degree or two air temp to help it start off.