Today another brew day

I am doing NB Karma Session IPA. I use a bag in my mash tun. I made a stand , false bottom, or whatever you want to call, to keep the bag away from the drain. I was having some issues with the pump stop sucking up liquid malt and I had to p/u the bag to get it going again. There is about 2" space from bottom of tun to bottom of stand , false bottom. I know that I am going to need a little more water to start with the resting stage. Sparging most likely be a duel and not sooo long.

Cavitation… Thats what its called when the pump starves…
Putting a valve on the output side allows you control the yer sparge volume…
Tell us how you do!
Sneezles61

1 Like

If your pump gives you the issues why not do a experiment leave the pump off. Put a regular valve. So you can control the flow of wort me not familiar with biab system

_I have a constant circulation of water going through the grain. I also have a constant temp. I made a herms unit. I seem to get constancy in temps.

1 Like

Things went well yesterday. I hit all temps I wanted . I did have to have a longer boil time due to too much wort. It seems I fix one thing and another pops up. Its beer.

This goes into my mash tun.

1 Like

Thats a creative gizmo!
Brewing is process orientated… You’ll get one process under yer belt, then another one needs attention…
Sneezles61

My beta was 141 for 30 min and the alpha was 158 for 45 min. Hoping for more body. Had to do a double sparge and that where I had too much water. Before boil was 1.040 after boil was 1.055. PH was 5.4 throughout the day.

1 Like

Yes thank you. I appreciate that.

I use the bag as a filter or a false bottom.

Thats quite a gain in gravity… usually 10 points is what I get… no biggy… So all went well?
Sneezles61

Yes. Using this system makes it fun! I want to brew all the time. I always get a little nervous before starting, but before I know , the beta temp is going. I use long stem thermometer and a digital for checking throughout the day before boiling. I think I am boiling to vigorously, too much liquid too fast. A rolling boil next time.

1 Like

Some folks like a vigorous boil… Really nothing wrong… You could add a bit more liquid to the mash…
Sneezles61

1 Like