Toasted flaked wheat?

I read a recipe in a book that called for toasted flaked wheat. Is this something that is sold or do I need to get flaked wheat and toast it myself? If that’s the case I’m kinda worried about toasting it too much (or not enough). It’s 6% of the malt bill so it will definitely have a flavor impact.

Any advice? The beer in question is a Fat Heads Headhunter clone.

I think it will be hard to find already toasted. I would just lightly grease a cookie sheet and do it in the oven for 20-25 minutes at 325* or so, but keep an eye on it. Flaked Wheat/Flaked oats don’t really have much flavor on their own (just kind of give a little body and a slicker mouthfeel), but if you toast them it supposedly has more of an oatmeal cookie aroma. Have heard of doing this for oatmeal stouts, but have not for a hoppy beer. We have used flaked wheat/flaked oats (untoasted) in Vermont IPA-inspired beers with great results. Definitely post back with results!

Done it a few times with flaked oats, imagine wheat would be similar. toast in 325* oven for 20-30 minutes. Best to go by the aroma rather than the color. When you start to smell a noticeable cookie-like aroma (at least that’s what toasted oats smelled like), take em out.

[quote=“mattnaik”]I read a recipe in a book that called for toasted flaked wheat. Is this something that is sold or do I need to get flaked wheat and toast it myself? If that’s the case I’m kinda worried about toasting it too much (or not enough). It’s 6% of the malt bill so it will definitely have a flavor impact.

Any advice? The beer in question is a Fat Heads Headhunter clone.[/quote]
Give this a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=12&v=I8R8EK8FycY

Wow, I’ve never even though of doing that. I usually add a half pound of flaked wheat into my hefes for more mouthfeel. I might try toasting that 1/2 pound next time. When I toast oats for oatmeal stouts, I usually do 350 for about 20 minutes or so. That’s a neat idea.

Thanks for the advice guys! Not sure when I’ll have time to brew this (busy summer) but I’ll be sure to post back details once it’s done.

I brewed a beer last week with 3 lbs. of toasted flaked grains. That’s the most I’ve used, so I can’t say how it will turn out.

I’ve also (very) lightly smoked flaked grains on my pellet grill. It smells just like peanut butter.

If I remember right, John Palmer said to put them in a brown paper bag for a few days. Not sure why though.