To hydrate or not? That is my question

I like to keep life simple therefore I was wondering when making an extract IPA over 1.060 would folks recommend hydrating a single pack of dry yeast ( e.g 05 or Danstar West Coast) or go the route which the my LHBS suggests and to dump two packs in without hydrating. Are they just trying to sell me more yeast? Would two packs give me a yeast bite? Any thoughts?

One 11g packet of US-05 is plenty for a 1.060 OG without rehydrating.

Almost sounds like your LHBS guy might have been thinking starter when you say hydrate.

From what I’ve read, about half the dry yeast doesn’t survive if pitched directly in wort, and thus you will have much more viable yeast if you hydrate in water first. That should lead to a faster, healthier fermentation.

From my own experience, if the yeast is not past its use by date and has been stored properly, Shadetree is right. You have to get to an OG of 75 or 80 before you need anything beyond one pack sprinkled directly on top.

+1.060!

+1, rehydrating is simple compared to almost any other part of brewing. Why throw away half of your yeast?

This!
I just did a batch of IPA and sprinkled a 11g pack of US-05 into each fermentor, shut the lids and walked away. Works great every time.

+1.060![/quote]
Couldn’t agree more.

+1, rehydrating is simple compared to almost any other part of brewing. Why throw away half of your yeast?[/quote]

I’m with you there. I’ve had diacetyl issues develop later after kegging, I think from slight oxidation and not being good about rehydrating yeast. There’s a shorter lag time and over all healthier fermentation with rehydrating. Why would you cut corners when it comes to one of the most important parts of making good beer?