Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Tips for first full boil (extract) and first time chiller?

Hi there,
After about 30 batches with partial boil, I finally bought a 7.5 gallon pot and a chiller.

any tips?

1. I have been putting in half my extract at 60 minutes, and half with 15 minutes left, ok to do that with full boil?

2. I’m making Chinook IPA kit, ok if I don’t adjust the hops this time?

any other tips?

thanks,

Yes and yes. If it’s DME you can add all that at the beginning. For LME, the half and half method is good. And you’ll get better hop utilization with a full boil, so you shouldn’t have to make any adjustments based on the kit, unless the kit is made for partial boil. An ounce of Chinook at 60 minutes should be good enough, then the rest of the hops can be added at 10, 5, and flame out, if desired. What’s the recipe call for?

well, it’s a NB extract kit, designed for partial boil.

it calls for 1 oz chinook at 60, then .5 oz at 10 and at 1 min, and 1 oz dry hop.
sound ok?

so I have 6 gal in the big pot now, with the stuff to take out the chloramine…

then, I’ll take 1 gallon out to steep 1# grain separately.

now, the 1# DME and 6# LME will add some volume too, right?

maybe I should start with less?

I can always add some water at end for 5.5 to go in fermenter.

Now, I need to go buy a long spoon before I start.

and test drove the chiller, that worked.

thanks!

I hate to say this, but I think you might find a 7.5 gallon pot might still provide some boil over challenges. I don’t know if it was overkill on my part or not, but when I switched to full volume boils, I bought a 10 gallon pot. Just an observation. Still pay close attention for boil oversm especially if you are starting with 6 gallons of water, and adding LME/DME to the mix…

ok, noted,
thanks,
I will start with a bit less, just in case.

and maybe I’ll return for a 10gal?

maybe I’ll return for a 10gal?

That’s the way I went - hit up the 10gal brew kettle. You won’t be sorry :slight_smile:
Tons of headspace and you don’t have to worry (much) about a boilover.

and while your at it, pick up some servomyces and super moss.

[quote=“isoscelesjones”]>>maybe I’ll return for a 10gal?

That’s the way I went - hit up the 10gal brew kettle. You won’t be sorry :slight_smile:
Tons of headspace and you don’t have to worry (much) about a boilover.

and while your at it, pick up some servomyces and super moss.[/quote]

what’s that? servomyces and super moss?

Servomyces - yeast nutrient that you add in the last 10 minutes of your boil. Increases the quality of your beer, shortens fermentation time, and tons of other good things. http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/whit … myces.html

Super Moss - Helps you get clearer beer. http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/supermoss-hb.html

well, thanks for the tips, good to know.
now that I’m upgrading equipment, may try some new additives too.

1. Yup keep doing the late extract addition, but actually try adding only 1/3 the amount at the beginning and the rest with 10-15 in the boil. Even more accurate colored beer and less possible overall carmelization.

2. Don’t adjust hops at all, and get ready to taste some awesome hop flavor from that recipe. I never adjust the hops for full volume boils… They taste so much better as a result.

Also, for boil overs, just keep a spray bottle full of cold water on hand and spray the surface of the hot break, and you should be fine.

thanks!

it’s boiling away now, full blast, and no boil overs.
(on my new GE Profile gas stove on the “power boil” burner)

good, I won’t adjust hops.

and next time I’ll do 1/3, 2/3 on the extract.

If you can make the 7.5 pot work then go for it. I have a 10 gallon pot. Good thinking on testing out your chiller and the hoses. I had a hose leak on me and it was a small headache keeping the water out of my pot. Enjoy this beer and start looking at all grain. It’s simpler than you may think. You are halfway there.

If you can take it back do it. 7.5 You will have issues, maybe not all the time but if you want to not have to worry thats not the pot.
I would add all the extract if your doing full boils, or at least whatever you decide to do keep it consistent.
If you add half the extract at a full boil your isomerizing your hops at half the gravity the recipe is.
You shouldnt have to much color difference with a full boil

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com