Tips for brewing Lagers

I’ve never dry hopped a lager either. But it is done with pilseners at times, and IPL’s, the infamous India Pale Lager fad around 2016 never really got traction. People would usually say, " …uhh, isn’t that just a hoppy pilsener?"

I’ve tried Pilsner Urqell on tap and thought maybe there was a bit of diacetyl. So I think a small amount is acceptable, even by BJCP guidelines.

1 Like

You never had a hoppy lager? Sam Adams is dry hopped. That fad has been going since the 80s

Well if SA is dry hopped then I guess I have had a DH’d lager. One with pretty much zero hop presence…haha

1 Like

Mittlfrue is not an agressive hops I agree. Just using sas an example to show you can brew a clear lager when dry hopping. I do hoppy lagers that are hoppy dry and clear. I dont brew the brut IPA but they remind me of that

Firestone Walker Pivo Pils is dry hopped.

Try some of these

German Pilsener with 2206. Holy Clarity, Batman!

4 Likes

Was planning to brew pils this morning but a terrible night’s sleep and a sick pup that needed to go the vet put that on the back burner. Just went down and checked on my starter that’s about 22 hours old and it appears to be fermented out. Plan was to pitch it at high K, maybe I’ll just do 5 gallons tomorrow AM and pitch it to that, then ramp it to 10 in a couple weeks.