Timing of starter

Plan on a brew day this Sunday. Would it be best to get a starter going this evening or Saturday? I’m not using a stir plate and the yeast is 1056. Also do I just pitch the whole thing into fermenter or decant? II’m thinking I wouldn’t have time to put it in fridge to get it to separate so probably won’t have option to decant? First time using starter if you can’t tell. Thanks

I prefer to crash and decant the starter before using it. Without a stirplate, I think you should plan on at least 5 days before it’s ready.

My rule of thumb is you need about 1 day per month since the yeast manufacture date to get it up and ready. Or three days minimum, though I’ve never gotten yeast that was that fresh. That time includes the time for the pack to swell (can take several days with older packs), 2-3 days to ferment, and a day to flocculate in the fridge. Plus several hours while the beer is being brewed that it sits in the fermentation chamber getting ready.

And I agree with Denny, you want to decant before you pitch.

And yes, I know that you don’t need to let the pack swell, but especially with an older pack it makes it much easier to be sure the yeast is viable.

The yeast is dated Feb 2015 so it’s pretty fresh. Is it better to go without a starter and just pitch the yeast if you have limited time rather than make a starter the day before? I’m going to get a stir plate next time I place an order.

You could direct pitch that to a beer under 1.060. Technically it would be under pitching bla bla but we’ve all done it. Smack the pack 3-4 hours before you’re ready to pitch it and it should swell right up, aerate your wort as well as you can and don’t expect fermentation to kick right off. Could take anywhere from 24-48 hours, or longer as the yeast will need time to reproduce before they get hungry enough to start in on your wort.

I make starters without a stir plate using the ‘swirl often’ method. A stir plate isn’t mandatory but can shorten the fermentation time for your starter.

Unless your beer is under 1.040 OG, you will be much better off making a starter. Look at it this way…you wouldn’t brew if you didn’t have hops or malt. Why would you brew if your yeast isn’t ready?

Here is a link to some good information:

http://www.mrmalty.com/starter_faq.php

And here is some more:

I’m often really lazy. Very lazy. I don’t really dig making starters. Dry yeast or pitching multiple packs, or reusing a yeast cake are my crutches. I’m also spoiled, living close enough to Northern Brewer that picking up two smack packs isn’t that big of a deal for me.

Unless your beer is under 1.040 OG, you will be much better off making a starter. Look at it this way…you wouldn’t brew if you didn’t have hops or malt. Why would you brew if your yeast isn’t ready?[/quote]
Exactly.