Time to do a lambic

I’ve decided it’s time to do a lambic. Im going to do an extract because its simpler and sounds like not a big deal for a lambic. From my research it appears that malto dextrin is added with straight lambics, and not used with fruit lambics.

Can I brew a lambic with the malto dextrin now, and if I decide to throw it on fruit later?

Thanks!

A traditional Lambic and Fruit Lambic would not have malto dextrin…

But if you are going the extract route, 6-8oz of malto would help with the body of the beer

[quote=“JoshMahoney”]I’ve decided it’s time to do a lambic. Im going to do an extract because its simpler and sounds like not a big deal for a lambic. From my research it appears that malto dextrin is added with straight lambics, and not used with fruit lambics.

Can I brew a lambic with the malto dextrin now, and if I decide to throw it on fruit later?

Thanks![/quote]

your fine adding malto dextine and then making a kreik or framboise later with a portion of it or all of it.

It gives a little something extra for the bugs to work on

Great, thanks for the advice!

do a google search on Steve Piatz’s Lambic, he makes some award winning extract lambics and malto dextrine is part of the recipe

Dextrine malt, a little flour at the end of the boil, a turbid mash, all are supposed to give more complex carbohydrates for the bacteria to work on. I’ve made some fine lambics without any of it, the fact is that a Sacch yeast leaves 25% of the carbs behind as it is and that is enough food for the wild critters.

hes talking extract

I made NB’s Dawson’s Kriek extract kit (and I don’t recall it having dextrin malt) and at a year it was a very fine kriek. People who know krieks were amazed at how it came out.

For that matter, extract probably has a little more unfermentable carbs in it than an AG mash. Even the gentle spray-drying cross-links some stuff.