Thoughts on Kolsch extract/partial mash recipe?

It has been great for my purposes. I bottle from the fermenter, priming each bottle Individually. The CCG allows me to let the stored CO2 push the beer into the bottles instead of air. Helps a bit towards less oxidation possibilities.

3 Likes

So about to bottle in a few days with any luck. Tasted my gravity sample a week ago and liked where it was headed. Testing again in a couple of days, already was at 5.3%.

Now my question: do I need to lager this? Do you think it would benefit this particular beer? Yeast was liquid oyl 71 kveik, and all extract brew. I have a small room that stays about 40-45F when it’s 32 ish outside

It all depends on how badly you want to drink it. :). If you like the taste now, can drink it now.

However, this style of beer is a clearer beer so it would not hurt to store it at a lower temperature to help clarify it. The lower temperature you mention is OK, not the best, 34 F storage will be better but 40 helps.

1 Like

I’m not in a super hurry and I would like to try this technique. I guess this would involve racking it to another bucket to get it off the trub and help with clarity?

oh oh oh I get to use a new younger persons idiomatic expression :slight_smile:
“don’t @ me for this but”

Whether to rack to secondary is a highly contentious topic. For this style beer, which is a very clear style, I would let it cool on the trub for a couple days to help it settle out more before racking. Be very careful to sanitize everything then rack it and be careful not to suck stuff off the bottom. You will sadly lose some beer this way. Then let it sit for at most a month at cold temperature.

2 Likes

@mikem :rofl::rofl:funny you should say that. I tried to be very careful with my word selection and made a point not to say secondary fermentation as I’m not racking onto any more fermentables​:grinning:Thansk for the tip about chilling it slightly before a transfer, I guess we’ll call it. Cheers

I checked my gravity on Monday, was 1.010, now today on Thursday 1.008. Should I just let it keep going at room temp, or place it in my 45F room to settle the trub so I can get ready to rack? It’s been fermenting at 60-65 for 3 weeks now.

It did taste better on Monday than today (more clean, less bitter, hoppier flavor) so my instinct is to “crash” it in my cold ish room.

I usually don’t start my crash until after I verify that fermentation is completed. I would take a reading in a day and then determine from there.

1 Like

Ok thanks. Makes sense.

1.008 is about done… but, you could lose another point or two… Cold crash for a week will clear it up nicely…
Sneezles61

1 Like

Ok cool thanks! It’s actually more clear than any one I’ve made before so pretty excited to crash it and see what happens

1 Like

Thanks for all your help, guys. I think it’s finally ready to bottle. Will have been in my cold room for 3 weeks tomorrow. 6.6 %. Super clean taste, mild, floral, just what I wanted!

1 Like