Thinking out of the box

This article at BYO (http://byo.com/stories/item/1963-parti-gyle-brewing-techniques) should be a good starting point.

Random brewing triviaā€¦ Traditionally, parti-gyle brewing was not used to make two different beers with one mash. It was used to make two separate worts that were boiled and hopped separately, and then recombined in certain ratios to make one beer with more controlled gravity, color, and bitterness. :beers:

Iā€™m surprised you are importing liquid yeast. If I were in your shoes Iā€™d only use dry and save and repitch my yeast. That is one place you can definetly save the hassle of importing. By the way you can get good dry yeast for just about any style.

1 Like

Another thing I was thinking about because of your isolation is to try brewing some beer using what you have available locally. You might find some grains at the grocer you could use. I would try something as simple as flaked oats or wheat in an all extract brew. I know a brewery that uses granola. How about some citrus zest in your IPA for aroma.

Absolutely. Dry yeast is a great choice for you. Then, as @brew_cat said, start a yeast bank. Here in Florida, or in most of the US this year, I wouldnā€™t even dream about ordering liquid yeast via the mail* due to the crazy heat. Love me some 34/70!!

*I am lucky in that I live close to a large LHBS and can buy liquid yeast there. I got into a dustup with someone on a forum thread once about this as they were questioning my logic of buying from them during the summer if I was so concerned about shipments during hot weather(?where did the LHBS get thereā€™s from?). But this place gets large, presumably temperature controlled shipments from Wyeast as they also do a brisk on line business via a web site.

The way i do with yeast. Friends come down or my brew partner does bring yeast in by plain. If tsa does not screw us over. Other wis i use the dry yeast

Me did look for grains. Once went to a bakery supply store. Answer sir cool you brew beer. Can we taste. Sure no prop. Answer. We can order grains. For you. Reply. Well can do that myself

Maybe if you develop a relationship with them they can cut the shipping cost because of their volume. Just a thought.

1 Like

did not think of this idea