Thinking out of the box

So me getting ready to brew a own beer. But having hard time to create a grain bill want to make a 5 gal ipa. Remember i do brew extract. Due to transport cost and time. Question want to mix the grains. To create a ipa. Thinking about using american 2 row malt. And??? And how much lbs of each type.

Are you using recipe building programs?

You can select an established recipe put together by another brewer here.

A couple recipe builders to put together your own recipe based on the ingredients that are available to you. Both have indicators showing the basic style guidelines. Of course you can build a recipe to meet your own tastes.
https://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/new

Your first recipe may take some time and some reading. “How To Brew” and “The Joy of Homebrewing” are two good books. Palmer’s previous edition of “How To Brew” is online.

No try to start from scratch. No program just use a calculator. And formulas. So grain wise. Think i will use. American 2 row. And. Dark roasted malt. Got everything else at home. Once got my recipy together. Will check it with. Brew software.

Are you looking to do a partial mash, then? If so, you could try mashing your extract with some 2-row… it’s a good way to increase the fermentability of extract and dry out your IPA somewhat. I’d be careful with dark roasted malt - too much can get pretty astringent and clash with hops, but an ounce or two can add quite a bit of color without as much astringency. Roasted barley in low amounts can impart a nice red color, although it can get harsh if you use too much. Carafa III is a good choice, too, without the harsh bite you can get with roasted grains.

1 Like

I did a few partial mash brews before moving on to all grain. It may have helped to ease the transition somewhat…BIAB is cheap and easy form of all grain.

Wilco I think you inevitably will go to all grain, it’s just a matter of time. You are already exhibiting signs and symptoms of the illness:smile:
Although I know you are a bit isolated geographically if I recall.

1 Like

partial mash did rethink the dark roast malt not gonna use it

yeah do think so as well

so here it is my mayhem ipa this will be the plan

Looks like some of my notes. That’s why I suggested entering your ingredients into a recipe builder. The software will calculate things like potential ABV, IBUs, and color on the fly.

1 Like

tonight at home will plug in the info on brewtoad see if this will work

Using Munich malt instead of the 2row and 6row will darken it up a bit. What are you looking for from the 6row. I also think you should mash those grains. Steeping is for crystal malts. It’s your beer though, I hate to be the guy who says " I would do this" . But you asked. Disclaimer , I never did extract so I may be totally wrong.

1 Like

Also just my two cents on the hops: I would skip the 45 minute addition, and move that ounce to 30 minutes or 15 minutes so you get some flavor out of them, as you already have bittering covered at 60 minutes.

1 Like

This is completely my opinion and preference, but like @brew_cat said, you asked! :laughing:

Personally I’m not a big fan of higher IBU and phenolics from yeast. I think they tend to clash. If I were going to use a phenolic Belgian yeast (and I think it’s a great idea in an IPA), I’d drop the IBU to around 35-40 and move most of those hops to a flameout addition for a more intense flavor and aroma, while keeping the bitterness in check.

Totally your beer, though. That’s just how I would do it. And yes, you’ll need to mash the 2- and 6-row-- I’d mash it around 148-150F. Toss in some of your extract with the grains, and the enzymes should go to work on the longer chain sugars in the extract.

2 Likes

because i am thinking out of the box thanks for all the info

A couple of thoughts:

• Book suggestion: Mastering Homebrew by Randy Mosher. If you find the Red and Brown Ales (link) recipe formulation diagram interesting, the book has one for Pale Ales. The book has great ideas on how to think about recipes and ingredients.

• When I’m testing recipe ideas, I find ways to brew different beers from the same wort. For example, with a five gallon batch, consider splitting split it in two (two different yeasts) or into five (different dry hop variants).

• Read other IPA recipes. Zymurgy’s 2016 Best Beers in America (link) has links to clone recipes for a number of the top ranked beers.

1 Like

So did put all the info last night. Into the brewtoad. Program it seems to work. What i try to create. .thanks you all for the info and idea. Do skip the 45 min hop. So this will be now 30 min hop addition .now finding time and wait for the order to come in had to order the grains. The rest i do have at home. .today brew day. A kamacitra ale. My wife likes this one lots

1 Like

One of my favorite recipes is the Dead Ringer, which is simply 2-row and Caramel. I’ve heard a lot about making homemade caramel/crystal malt from base malt. It always seemed like it wasn’t worth the effort to me. But maybe given your exorbitant import costs, it could be worth the effort to simply import 2-row, and make your own specialty grain to the extent possible…

Got one death ringer yesterday transferd to the keg. Now wait for. Carbonation. Well yeah yesterday. During brew session my buddy and i. Discussing a new order. And the next step in our brew adventure. Reason. The shipping become again more expensive. So we gonna create our own recipy. Will do some calculation. Today. On prices. Of beer kits. Vs. Creating our own beer. Product wise and shipping costs. And damm got by usa tsa. They did take my kveik yeast. Away from a friend. Who did arive yesterday. Lost 100$ yeast vials pure anger

Are you familiar with Parti-Gyle brewing? Basically, brewing a higher ABV beer and a lower ABV beer using the same mash.

No did not hear from it. So you brew two beers with one wort?