Things other than hops in a randall

Has anyone ever crammed their Randall with something like oak cubes or herbs or maybe even malt? What did you do and what was the result?

dogfish head did the fetina petcha here at CBX through sour patch kids and haribou peach gummy candy. it was different but pretty good. no head at all.

And they did the Palo Santo Marron through ground coffee.

I’ve had a pale ale that was passed through a randall of fire roasted hot peppers before. not bad.

I would totally run a winter ale through cardamom, vanilla, ginger, cinnamon, etc.

Anything with a relatively quick flavor pick-up would work. Oak will not for that very reason. Higher alcohol beers are going to do a better job at extracting flavor.

OK, that makes sense about the oak. But I have to think that a heavy toast oak would impart something because of its huge smell. I own a homebrew store now so I have all this inspiration surrounding me :smiley:

Are you f’n crazy!? Do you know how expensive Cardamom is? haha… my wife and my sister just started some ‘cleansing’ diet today. That was one of the items my wife picked up at the store… friggen little spice bottle for 15 bucks…

i had a beer through rhubarb, that was interesting… i forget what kinda beer it was though.

Any chance it was rhubarb? :wink:

OK, that makes sense about the oak. But I have to think that a heavy toast oak would impart something because of its huge smell. I own a homebrew store now so I have all this inspiration surrounding me :smiley: [/quote]

Oh you’ll get something, but it won’t be the rounded nice oak character that you might be looking for. More likely dusty, freshly-cut wood. Again, with a high alcohol beer it could be a different story, as alcohol is the main solvent that extracts flavors in this situation.