Thermapen Sale -- You Know You Want One!

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/the ... openbox-cs

Thanks for the heads up, just got one.

I freaking love mine.

That is all.

I purchased 3 during the last sale. Made nice gifts for the Brother and Sister.

I’ve been waiting all summer for these to go on sale – thanks for posting!

Do Thermapens need to be recalibrated very often? Do people use these to calibrate all other thermometers in their brewery?

Just wanted to figure this out before pulling the trigger on one.

http://www.thermoworks.com/pdf/thermape ... _web_d.pdf

According to the above link, the thermometer should stay in calibration under normal use.

If not, there are instruction on how to adjust it back to calibration. Or you can send it back to have it calibrated, for a fee.

I have been very happy with mine. Not only do I use it for brewing, I use it for grilling. My steaks come out perfect med. rare every time. Yes It’s a multi-tasker.

Is it really worth the cost when compared to say, this:

$17.99
This is a durable brewing thermometer, suitable for extract and all-grain brewers. Five-inch heat-resistant stainless steel probe and digital quartz display; reads in Celsius or Fahrenheit, with a range of -4°F to 400°F (-20°C to 200°C) and a typical response time of 1.5 seconds. Completely submersible, dishwasher-safe and waterproof (although the LCD display needs to be kept away from extreme/direct heat or cold). Max memory and hold features will read back the highest or exact temperatures last measured - handy for finding hot spots in a mash or taking a reading on high-up sparge water tank. This thermometer can be calibrated in an ice-water solution and has a resolution of .1° and an accuracy within 2°. Also features an anti-microbial coating. Runs on one LR-44 button cell battery (included).

I would welcome any reviews of that product that you have/write. I have found though, that with brewing thermometers, you can spend $90 over a few years on multiple thermometers and wind up with a drawer full of junk that doesn’t work…OR you can spend the $90 upfront and have a lifetime-guaranteed product that is really reliable.

I would welcome any reviews of that product that you have/write. I have found though, that with brewing thermometers, you can spend $90 over a few years on multiple thermometers and wind up with a drawer full of junk that doesn’t work…OR you can spend the $90 upfront and have a lifetime-guaranteed product that is really reliable.[/quote]

Actually, I own several thermometers. The one I use the most is this:

Works great. Accurate. Dependable for the last 6 years.

ProAccurate Digital Thermometer
$16.99
This is one of the nicer digital thermometers we have used recently. It has a range of -40° to 350°F (-40° to 175°C). The stainless steel stem features Quick Tip technology, which means that this thermometer reads the correct temperature within 8 seconds or less. It is waterproof, which makes it ideal for brewing applications. This thermometer is incredibly easy to calibrate — just place the probe in at least 1 inch of crushed ice and water and press the “Calibrate” button for two seconds. The ProAccurate Digital Thermometer also has a min/max function, and shuts off after 10 minutes of non-use. It is warrenteed by the manufacturer for five years.

I have two like this and have been very happy with them. http://www.control3.com/4371p.htm
I have had one for about 4 years, changed the battery once. I ordered another a couple months back because I liked it so much.
Please note: I do not doubt the thermapen is a fantastic product and I’m not trying to start a debate!

I like the thermapen. There may be other thermometers that work well, but my favorite part about the thermapen is its super-fast read time. I know what my mash temp is within a couple seconds… not ten seconds.

I don’t see the termapen as a tool that you need to be a better brewer, but more as a luxury item that will make you happy.

Getting a 3 second, or less, reading is incredibly useful, and you’ll find yourself using it in places that you would never use a cheaper model that takes 5-10 seconds. Like the bathtub for your kids, or baby bottles, or baby-food, or coffee, or meat, or making candi syrup, or poaching eggs… and then on brew day you’ll use it all the time.

Its definitely not a necessity to make you a better brewer/cook, but neither are many of the things we end up buying.

If you get one, you’ll love it.

[quote=“roffenburger”]I have two like this and have been very happy with them. http://www.control3.com/4371p.htm
I have had one for about 4 years, changed the battery once. I ordered another a couple months back because I liked it so much.
Please note: I do not doubt the thermapen is a fantastic product and I’m not trying to start a debate![/quote]
Price/performance ratio seems right.

Wish I could afford one…

hell money bags, make it rain.

On a school teacher’s salary??? Dream on buddy. Kegged the peach wheat and have a liter with your name on it. I’ll bring it to July’s meeting.

Pulled the trigger. Did some more research and liked this option as we do a ton of grilling and smoking. Wife Ok’d the purchase as well, but said no on the pink. I wanted pink as it’s just that much easier to find amongst the brewing gear.