Thermapen MK4?

You won’t be disappointed. It’s very reliable.

I can’t believe how off my Blichmann dial face thermometer is. I checked it with the char broil lollipop and another very accurate(slow though) thermometer. I adjusted while in the mash, then it was off at the boil. Seems there wasn’t any common ground, other than off. I’ll be looking forward to this new brew addition. Sneezles61

Yeah I ended up buying one too at 20% off. I think I’ll like the AAA battery vs the CR2032 batteries of the classic. Also the back light feature might come in handy and who wouldn’t like the waterproof IP67 rating. For $10 dollars more why not.

On the topic of measuring tools anyone use any pH meters from thermoworks?

No but i had a milwaukee one that i left out too and probably killed the probe :slight_smile:

From my experience Bru’n water is +|- .01 in pH if you enter ACCURATE data. With that I never check pH anymore. Not worth calibrating and the cost of the solution.

By “ACCURATE” do you mean like base numbers from a water report then any adjustments made?

Yea that’s exactly what I mean. I use an in house RO system that I maintain (my bro does the work) so I can trust my numbers.

As for municipal supply, the water isn’t going to change THAT much where you’ll be way off. So, for example, if your water goes from 55 ppm calcium to 60 it’s not that big of a deal.

I would like to have my water tested by ward labs so I know my water chemistry. I’m don’t use my tap water because of chlorine/chlorimide and I’m looking into camden tablet treatment. Would camden tablets alter a water report? I’m tired of buying jugs of water to brew and once I step back into all grain it’s more of a concern to know where my water stands.

No, campden doesnt really change it. 1 tablet per 20 gallons is such a small amount of sulfite, you can ignore it.

The only caution of trusting bru’n water without a pH meter is that different malts can give different responses. For example, rahr malt tends to give you a bit lower pH. If you stick with the same malts, then it’s just as accurate as loopie says, but you can run into some variability if you switch base malts often. And I’m not talking about a lot. Does it matter? Maybe, maybe not. Depends on the beer you’re making.

1 Like

So the only difference between sodium and potassium metabisulfite is the residual they leave behind either potassium or sodium?

I’m not a chemist, so I’m not sure of the reaction with chloramine. But it’s such a tiny amount, whatever is left behind is not sufficient to affect your water chemistry. Try burtonizing your water, for comparison’s sake, and you’ll see what I mean.

1 Like

@porkchop gives excellent advice here. Rahr does drop your pH a little more than other malts. Ironically I use Rahr because Briess taste too grainy. :joy:

1 Like

You HAD to go there… :laughing:

That was a great thread.

2 Likes

I am understanding that the soil the barley is grown in makes a diff as to the pH. I’ve been gittin some pilsner from Idaho, I have to use a little more acid to help adjust the pH. Just another variable that also comes into play… Sneezles61

I could see that being a definite possibility. Works that way for acidity of grapes so why not barley?

ut oh…here we go again…

1 Like

Same here, I plug the numbers into Bru’n water and let her rip. Wish I never would have bought a meter…it sits in a cabinet in storage solution as I found it unreliable and problematic to calibrate. Maybe a different unit might be better but I’m happy with my water results and my beer.

Just got my “old style” thermapen. Tomorrow, gelatin fer me IPA… very good place to see how well it could be! Sneezles61

Now thats a cool gizmo! I’m checking all kinds of things temperature! Did my gelatin and followed as I always do the temp. This was soooo fast. I’m hooked and tonight, grilling strips in the snow storm…. With my new handy friend! Sneezles61

1 Like