There are 10 types of people in the world

…those that understand binary and those that don’t.

There are also those who have broken a glass carboy and those that are about to. Yikes, what a mess. Thankful for no major injuries other than band-aids on three fingers

Made some red beer huh? Sorry to hear about it. Glad it is only Band-aids and not stitches.

Not mine but I got a picture of it when my buddy lowered a carboy into the chest freezer and bumped the shoulder of another carboy.

Looks like he was able to salvage most of the beer. :wink:

both instances suck! in my 13 years, I have not broken a carboy. thankfully.

Right there. I move them as little as possible. They are getting heavier, though. :oops:

[quote=“discowheelie”]There are also those who have broken a glass carboy and those that are about to.[/quote]And then there are those that don’t use glass carboys and don’t have to worry about it. :wink:

But, then you have to worry about your BB’s developing cracks.
BB’s are safer but they both have issues.

[quote=“Baratone Brewer”]But, then you have to worry about your BB’s developing cracks.
BB’s are safer but they both have issues.[/quote]Back to buckets exclusively now - I have some ported/valved BBs, but they’ve been on the shelf for a while, got tired of them. Selling them cheap if you’re in the Austin area. :wink:

[quote=“Shadetree”][quote=“Baratone Brewer”]But, then you have to worry about your BB’s developing cracks.
BB’s are safer but they both have issues.[/quote]Back to buckets exclusively now - I have some ported/valved BBs, but they’ve been on the shelf for a while, got tired of them. Selling them cheap if you’re in the Austin area. :wink: [/quote]

Same here. I wasn’t too smart…I broke 3 carboys before I gave up on them. Haven’t used one in a long time and I’ve found that I really prefer buckets.

I have a couple BB’s that I use whenever everything else is full, but otherwise, it’s all buckets. I’ve read too may horror stories, which really didn’t have to be many to make me scared of glass. Learn from the mistakes of others!

Speaking of…Denny, I dropped the flops from my brewing attire and went with my fishing boots. No scorched feet for me!

[quote=“CCM”]Speaking of…Denny, I dropped the flops from my brewing attire and went with my fishing boots. No scorched feet for me![/quote]\

Good move, man. May be less comfortable, but not as uncomfortable as burned feet!

Stopped using glass carboys after I broke one. Stopped using BB and buckets because round containers don’t fit well in square fridges/freezers. Switched to square and rectangular camping water jugs and couldn’t be happier. They have handles, are easy to shake/stir when pitching yeast, and I can 4 of them in my converted freezer (but only 2 carboys).

I only have one carboy. I only use it for aging a barleywine or something like that.

Hmm-not to tempt date but I started of with buckets and now use carboys exclusively. Never broke one-though i don’t have a lagering freezer so maybe that helps. Never got over the feeling I was leeching out of the plastic.

Plastic for all but extended secondaries on big beers - and even then often in a cornie. Glass got too scary and heavy. But my 10 gallon batches are a 2 man operation in 15 gallon plastic barrels! I can fit 2 of those plus 2 cornie in my layering chest.

I have broken one 6.5 glass carboy and two 5-gallon glass secondaries. I have been primary fermenting in plastic for years and slowly moving to 5-gallon Better Bottles for secondary. That pic is interesting… the carboy stayed pretty much intact making the cleanup easier. Each time I did it, they broke into a billion pieces and there was blood! Ugh.

But, then you have to worry about your BB’s developing cracks.
BB’s are safer but they both have issues.[/quote]

Yes, I had just returned mine to Northern Brewer because it developed a pinhole leak. Their customer service is awesome, by the way!

how are you airlocking these vessels? do they have textured or smooth sides? I assume they are food grade if they are made for holding drinking water. I am intrigued by this idea. How is the cleaning? do you feel you can get them clean even in the square corners? do they hold up to hot PBW?

I must be lucky (knocking on wood). I have two 6.5 gallon and five 5 gallon glass carboys. The 6.5s are dated on the bottom and almost 18 years old. Wear flip flops brewing to. I will keep the cell phone in my pocket to call 911 just in case. :shock: