The return of the Flat Top Can?

[quote=“SlowBrew”]
The theory is (and for the most part it works) the wider body of the glass allows more air in and the narrowing top concentrates the bouquet (i.e. smell) so when you drink and your nose automatically sticks into the glass your perception of the flavors is enhanced. The way you are forced to hold the glass also causes the fluid to warm faster than a tall glass would and again increases the aroma in the glass.

And it makes people feel superior because you simply must use the correct glass. 8) Brandy really is better in a large snifter so I guess it works once in a while.

Paul[/quote]

Well that was my point, on the one hand the poster shot down the fact that style of glass had any impact but on the other hand he said he uses certain glasses for his Burton Ales, just pointing out the contradiction there.

I could see where my wording may have been confusing.
I don’t use the snifter to enhance flavor or aroma. Basically, the snifter comes out for the barleywine and other big brews for the sole purpose of making it an ‘event’ (for lack of a better word). I’m a bit ‘old school’ when it comes to the very strong beers and rarely pour more than 7 or 8 oz of such brews.

If the snifter enhances anything for me, it’s mainly the visual aspect. That, and it also serves as a subtle reminder that beers like the barleywine/Burton/Old Ale that I enjoy making are ones that I’ve spent up to three years nurturing along (and sometimes longer).
They are not beers I’m going to pound down a pint at a time.

I could see where my wording may have been confusing.
I don’t use the snifter to enhance flavor or aroma. Basically, the snifter comes out for the barleywine and other big brews for the sole purpose of making it an ‘event’ (for lack of a better word). I’m a bit ‘old school’ when it comes to the very strong beers and rarely pour more than 7 or 8 oz of such brews.

If the snifter enhances anything for me, it’s mainly the visual aspect. That, and it also serves as a subtle reminder that beers like the barleywine/Burton/Old Ale that I enjoy making are ones that I’ve spent up to three years nurturing along (and sometimes longer).
They are not beers I’m going to pound down a pint at a time.[/quote]

Gotcha, makes sense. To be honest I don’t have a strong feeling one way or the other as I’ve never really tried anything similar to what The Tooth suggested. I do however enjoy using different style glasses at times depending on the beer I’m drinking, more so for the type of reasoning you outlined above, but for a broader range of beers/glasses. Bottom like I think is that there’s never a wrong way to enjoy a good beer!

You got that right! I hope I didn’t come across as snobby above… it’s just a fun and easy experiment. :cheers:

You got that right! I hope I didn’t come across as snobby above… it’s just a fun and easy experiment. :cheers: [/quote]

Not at all(not to me at least) I am actually interested in trying that out at some point…maybe tonight who knows :cheers:

i also like using snifters for big stouts and barleywines. there’s just something aesthetic about using them for big beers. and you can stick your nose in there and get a real good sniff. something looks wrong when you fill a pint glass half way. i have several different style glasses, and haven’t noticed any difference in ‘flavor’. IMO purely aesthetic. But i know a few brewers who insist on using proper glass-ware

great throw back brings back memories

www.aleandvino.com