The return of the Flat Top Can?

Has anyone seen this?
The crafties have been scrambling to offer their beer in cans, and now we have that one goes one step further…

http://churchkeycanco.com/home/

thats pretty awesome. I’d totally buy those. pretty cool throw-back if you ask me

kind of off topic, but reminded me of this… for those of you can beer lovers. heres an interesting way to drink from a can. but be careful, dont cut yourselves. when my buddy first introduced me to this i thought to myself “who’d a’ thunk, using a can opener on a beer can”

Even as a gimmick, I don’t understand this. I would choose a vortex bottle or labels that show how cold it is over this (not really, but I’d walk out with nothing).

We were watching Mad Men recently and wishing they went back to those cans. Not that it’s something I remembering having come to legal drink age in 2004 but I think it would be kinda cool on a small level.

I wonder if it would cost more or less for the producer to do this? It’s a more simplistic style but then again they probably need to change their equipment.

[quote=“Meerts”]Even as a gimmick, I don’t understand this.[/quote]You sir, are obviously not a hipster! Congrats! :wink:

Just saw a commercial the other night for a BMC beer that had a small tab you pushed to make an opening opposite the tab top to make the beer flow better like the church key vent hole. Can’t remember the beer but I sure remember punching holes with a church key in days gone by. Does anyone remember the little push tabs
right after they got rid of the ring pull tab?

This is incredibly dumb. It’s like going back to WIndows 3.1 because too many people are starting to use Windows 7…

marketing is marketing. i have no problem with it. I’d purchase it just to drink out of a can that i’ve never had. whatever gets people to pick up a six pack of a new beer. and I’ve been on the hunt for good canned beer. so, in their eyes, mission accomplished. you don’t have to be a ‘hipster’ for something out of the ordinary to spark interest

I already refuse to drink anything from a can…so let them do their gimmick …it won’t last. :wink:

not drinking canned beer of any sort is like not listening to music on vinyl: you are sure to miss out on something great because of the package.

Shame, there are some great craft beers out in cans now days.

:mrgreen: I don’t know if the flat-top revival will stick, but cans are certainly here to stay. They really are the ideal container for beer. In any case, I dislike drinking beer directly from a bottle or a can… I almost always pour my beer into a glass anyway if the situation allows.

What is kind of funny to me though is the fact that after the “craft” beer industry’s years of differentiating themselves from the big brewers and dissing canned beer, more and more of them are now embracing the beer can and taking baby steps towards becoming big brewers themselves.

Of course, as long as the beer is good, it hardly matters, does it?

I agree as I pour into a glass usually as well, but I for some reason feel the taste is different from a can. Example: Surly…I get it on tap and I like it…I had it from a can…I will not buy it anymore. Don’t ask me why, it’s just the way I taste things I guess.

For those who say there is no taste from a can…which I’m sure someone will say…I beg to differ and we all have are own opinion on that so lets not start that :slight_smile:

I also don’t feel I’m missing out due to something in a can…all the beers I can get here in MN that I want to drink are not in cans :slight_smile:

I don’t know if it’s true or not. but i heard that the taste from a can, isn’t the beer itself, but rather the acidity of your saliva on the aluminum

although personally, i cant taste anything out of the ordinary from cans

[quote=“S.Scoggin”]I don’t know if it’s true or not. but i heard that the taste from a can, isn’t the beer itself, but rather the acidity of your saliva on the aluminum
although personally, i cant taste anything out of the ordinary from cans[/quote]

I agree. A keg is just a big steel can after all, isn’t it?

Poured into a glass, there is no difference in taste…modern beer cans are lined so the beer is not coming into contact with any aluminum (unless you drink from the can, in which case there will be some contact between the beer, the lid, and the mouth.
Beer (even bottled beer) tastes better poured into a glass anyway. The vehicle for delivery to the drinking glass is pretty irrelevant (as is the shape of the glass as far as I’m concerned).

I don’t know about today, but in years past there was a definite difference in the taste of bottled & canned beer versus draft beer, since traditionally bottled & canned beer were pasteurized, whereas keg beer was not (usually).

[quote=“The Professor”][quote=“S.Scoggin”]I don’t know if it’s true or not. but i heard that the taste from a can, isn’t the beer itself, but rather the acidity of your saliva on the aluminum
although personally, i cant taste anything out of the ordinary from cans[/quote]

I agree. A keg is just a big steel can after all, isn’t it?

Poured into a glass, there is no difference in taste…modern beer cans are lined so the beer is not coming into contact with any aluminum (unless you drink from the can, in which case there will be some contact between the beer, the lid, and the mouth.
Beer (even bottled beer) tastes better poured into a glass anyway. The vehicle for delivery to the drinking glass is pretty irrelevant (as is the shape of the glass as far as I’m concerned).

I don’t know about today, but in years past there was a definite difference in the taste of bottled & canned beer versus draft beer, since traditionally bottled & canned beer were pasteurized, whereas keg beer was not (usually).[/quote]

I agree with you about the can. It doesn’t seem to matter how it gets to the glass.

I disagree with the assertion that the glass doesn’t matter. I used to think the same way (with wine and beer) until I tried it. Simply take the same beer (or wine) and pour it into 4 or 5 differently shaped glasses and try them. You’ll notice a very real difference in aroma and/or flavor, depending on the shape of the glass. Seriously, try it… it’s a cheap experiment if you already have some differently shaped glassware.

I’ve tried it (I have a collection of glasses, though mainly now for display). I’m a pretty sensitive taster (maybe not a ‘supertatster’, but probably pretty close), and my easily caricaturable nose is pretty efficient too :shock: . But I can get the same enjoyment of any beer, from the mundane to the exotic, in a simple glass. In my trials, the glass has never enhanced the beer as much as the marketing of such things wants to suggest.

So thanks for the tip, but sorry…other than my preferred oversized brandy snifter or big red wine glass for the Old Burton ales I love (and which I use to make cracking open the bottle “an occasion”), a straight sided glass and a classic 10 or 20 ounce Nonic remain my preferred beer vessels, from which I can enjoy any kind of brew.

In fact, when I’m in a bar, I make it a point to ask for my beers in a standard glass if I see ‘specialty’ glasses in use.

That Sam Adams cheater pint glass that they rolled out a few years ago is particularly silly to me. It IS brilliant marketing though (and the bars do love charging for a pint and pocketing the profit on those 3 or so ounces that don’t fit in the glass…and it does add up by the time the keg kicks! ) :mrgreen:

Just curious, why do you use the snifter and wine glass rather than your standard glass for certain beverages?

I’ve tried it (I have a collection of glasses, though mainly now for display). I’m a pretty sensitive taster (maybe not a ‘supertatster’, but probably pretty close), and my easily caricaturable nose is pretty efficient too :shock: . But I can get the same enjoyment of any beer, from the mundane to the exotic, in a simple glass. In my trials, the glass has never enhanced the beer as much as the marketing of such things wants to suggest.

So thanks for the tip, but sorry…other than my preferred oversized brandy snifter or big red wine glass for the Old Burton ales I love (and which I use to make cracking open the bottle “an occasion”), a straight sided glass and a classic 10 or 20 ounce Nonic remain my preferred beer vessels, from which I can enjoy any kind of brew.

In fact, when I’m in a bar, I make it a point to ask for my beers in a standard glass if I see ‘specialty’ glasses in use.

That Sam Adams cheater pint glass that they rolled out a few years ago is particularly silly to me. It IS brilliant marketing though (and the bars do love charging for a pint and pocketing the profit on those 3 or so ounces that don’t fit in the glass…and it does add up by the time the keg kicks! ) :mrgreen: [/quote]

I agree that you can enjoy a beer in any glass. I’m not saying that the wrong glassware will render a beer terrible, but aroma and flavor can be enhanced in different glassware. I think you know this as you use the oversized brandy snifter or wine glass for your old Burton Ales.

It sounds to me that you are equating a differently shaped “specialty” glass as having to be a smaller glass and feel cheated when you get one of these. They may be smaller sometimes (or larger at others), but that’s no reason to discount the reality of aroma and flavor being enhanced in one of these glass shapes.

Trust me, I’m a recent convert. I wanted to believe it didn’t matter and that people were just being pretentious, but that’s just not the case.

All that said, if you enjoy all your beer in a pint glass, then so be it. Enjoy it. It won’t hurt a thing. :cheers:

[quote=“BPBCo”][quote=“The Professor”][quote=“TheTooth”]
[/quote][/quote]

Just curious, why do you use the snifter and wine glass rather than your standard glass for certain beverages?[/quote]

The theory is (and for the most part it works) the wider body of the glass allows more air in and the narrowing top concentrates the bouquet (i.e. smell) so when you drink and your nose automatically sticks into the glass your perception of the flavors is enhanced. The way you are forced to hold the glass also causes the fluid to warm faster than a tall glass would and again increases the aroma in the glass.

And it makes people feel superior because you simply must use the correct glass. 8) Brandy really is better in a large snifter so I guess it works once in a while.

Paul