The Great Brew Fail of 2012

Yesterday I got an insane deal on a 20 gallon kettle, bought it with the intention of moving from 6 gal up to 10, and eventually 15 gal batches. Tried it out on a batch today. While brewing I:

1. Broke my hydrometer
  2. Forgot to get new tubing, so was stuck with my leaky busted-up tubing to drain the mash tun
  3. Forgot to test my IC in my new bigger kettle, so had to try to bend it while it was in boiling wort so the in/out ports were above the rim
  4. Forgot that there’s no valve on the new bigger kettle
  5. Forgot that I’m not strong enough to lift my new bigger kettle to pour it

Hind sight’s 20/20.

I recently switched from a keggles to 25gal kettles. Even though I dry fitted everything and was pretty well ready, its always fun to learn a new piece of equipment.
Congrats on the new kettle.

[quote=“CliffordBrewing”]Yesterday I got an insane deal on a 20 gallon kettle, bought it with the intention of moving from 6 gal up to 10, and eventually 15 gal batches. Tried it out on a batch today. While brewing I:

1. Broke my hydrometer
  2. Forgot to get new tubing, so was stuck with my leaky busted-up tubing to drain the mash tun
  3. Forgot to test my IC in my new bigger kettle, so had to try to bend it while it was in boiling wort so the in/out ports were above the rim

Hind sight’s 20/20.[/quote]

Almost identical to the type of day I had after moving to a new house, not brewing for 4 months and having nothing where I was used to finding it. I was rushing and the day was a disaster

Ordered a weldless bulkhead with ball valve, so that hopefully will solve a couple of my problems before my next brew day…

Congrats on the new kettle setup. Use a step drill and go slowly with cutting oil and you’ll be fine installing the weld less valve. New equipment always brings some new aspects to consider…good luck and brew on!

[quote=“CliffordBrewing”]Yesterday I got an insane deal on a 20 gallon kettle, bought it with the intention of moving from 6 gal up to 10, and eventually 15 gal batches. Tried it out on a batch today. While brewing I:

1. Broke my hydrometer

Hind sight’s 20/20.[/quote]

At least you weren’t wearing flip flops and spilling hot wort. :lol:

Use Pam spray instead of oil works great and is food safe.

That’s a great idea. I was going to do either WD40 or just water. Drilling that thing is my project for this weekend. I’ll report back.

Sorry to say but I couldn’t help but laugh a bit. We’ve all been there once or twice. A friend bought some keggles on craigslist and instead of cutting a hole in the top he just chopped the entire top off leaving no handles or anything to hold on to. We of course didn’t think of this until much too late in the evening when we needed to move our handleless boil kettle for our plate chiller.

Installed the ball valve tonight and leak-free! Also stumbled upon a sanke at a garage sale for $20, so I’m toying with the idea of doing no-chill-sanke-fermentor for my next batch until I can afford the time and money to make a bigger chiller.