The Craft of Stone Brewing Company

Greg Koch and his merry band of misfits at Stone have released a book about their history, beer, brewing, food recipes, and most importantly, homebrew versions of some of their beers.

I have only had a chance to thumb through the book, but I like what I have seen so far. The homebrew recipes range from easy to rather challenging. Has anyone else picked up the book? Any thoughts? The bitter chocolate oatmeal stout looks very tempting.

One question does come up. The recipe for their mild calls for a 2 hour boil. Why would you use a two hour boil on a mild? Is there something I don’t know?

Dan

I got it in the mail a couple days after it came out.
[attachment=2]DSC03298 (Small).JPG[/attachment]

Although I have hardly even opened it yet. I have been out hunting the last couple weekends.

The Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout does look good.

As for the mild and a 2 hour boil, my guess is that adding the hops at 120 minutes makes for a smoother bitterness in the end product.

Hopefully I will have time to read some of it this weekend while brewing up 18 gallons of delicious beer.

Now enjoy some pictures of my hunting spoils.
[attachment=1]Wild Turkey Hen.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=0]Ruffed Grouse.JPG[/attachment]

Got my copy on monday. Even though I knew most of the story already reading it from their perspective was quite cool. I will definitely be brewing the bitter choc oatmeal stout soon and I may make the Stone Pale my first 10 gal batch.

First the DVD and now a book… Oh what will those Stone folk think of next?

[quote=“CTDan”]One question does come up. The recipe for their mild calls for a 2 hour boil. Why would you use a two hour boil on a mild? Is there something I don’t know?

Dan[/quote]

Probably for flavor development.

Nice, been 30 or so years since I saw a grouse :cheers:

Not buying the stone book though