Thank You Denny Conn and Northern Brewer!

Cool. Ill have to try that out :slight_smile:

Thanks, I’ll let the pros I’ll be working with know.

I’d be careful with that one. Unsolicited advice from one pro to another usually doesn’t go over well

denny
“That’s like asking which is your favorite child! As to which beer I prefer, it all depends on my mood, but in general I’d say the Rye IPA.”

Take the Rye IPA aside and make it promise not to tell the Wee Shroomy. :slight_smile:

1 Like

After the Maine results, I decided to see how it would do in an AHA certified competition, so I sent in samples of 3 of my beers to the 21st Annual Boston Homebrew Competition.
The Waldo Lake Amber got a Bronze medal with a 37/50 score
My Valentine’s Irish Red took a Silver medal with a score of 35.5/50. It used Denny’s favorite 50 yeast as well.
My December in Vienna lager also scored 35.5, although it didn’t place.
More importantly, the score sheets and comments from the judges were very helpful, and pretty much confirmed what I thought about the beers.
I’m pretty pleased with myself. Someone slap me down ,please. :wink:

1 Like

Careful, you’ll break yer arm and won’t be able to brew fer a while! Congrats to you tho mainly, there is so much valuable info out there, but, being able to implement it is where the compliment goes!! Sneezles61

Congrats! I started doing comps this year just to get feedback, but I have to admit its nice to score well and place.

Congrats

The brew date with Geaghan’s brewery finally happened yesterday 9/28. 5 barrel system and the recipe was tweaked both by me and by them. They also use a chico yeast. WY1450 would be better imo, but I wasn’t going to pay the $300 or so for a one-off yeast, so didn’t even ask. Last time I did a version, my LHBS didn’t have 1450, so I used US-05, and it turned out fine(it was a hot June and I didn’t want to risk the week that it usually takes NB to ship to Maine).
The whole experience of hanging out with a couple of pros, and playing with their system was beyond the moon.
Really makes me wish I knew a sugar Daddy to loan me $300k to start a brewery. Oh well, back to work…

2 Likes

Brewing in a commercial brewery fo a day is fun. Having to do it every day for a job is less fun.

2 Likes

That’s the way I’ve always looked at it, and is the primary reason I never went commercial, as I was seriously considering doing in the late ‘80s/early’90s (I actually had some money back then from the TV work I was doing, and even had some interested high profile interested backers). Seeing the toll the brewing business took on my ‘craft’ and pub brewer friends’ mental well being (and for the brewer/owners I knew, on their social life and financial well being as well) I have no regrets at all and am, to this day, very happy and content that I elected to keep it as a hobby…a serious hobby that I still love as much as (if not more than) when I homebrewed my first batches 45 summers ago.
Also, the only consumer I need to please is my own self (though I am a fussy old bastard).
:astonished:

4 Likes