Testing my stash

My wife and I are spending the week up in the mountains at our camp. Time to start closing it up. Get in some firewood and drain the pipes. We come up by snowmobile in the winter but need to melt snow for water. Anyway I’ve bought a bunch of bottles up that I bottled off the kegs last year and you lucky few will hear my critique as I go down the list. 1st up an 6.5% IPA 6 months old

2 Likes

OK, IPA not so IPA it used too have a nice cascade punch now just a run of the mill pale ale. Next up an Abbey ale with 530 from February

My wife is very supportive. She doesn’t drink but has said she’s glad I’m not just drinking but doing some research also

1 Like

Great way too sell it!

Well the Abbey is awesome. I brew this one every fall. A little foamy on the pour but it drops down to a bout 1/4" head with a lot of lacing. A bit cleaner than fresh but the yeast was about fourth generation so it may have mutated a bit. I’ll start a new yeast when I make this next. This is liter bottle at 7.5%. So good night. Tomorrow heading to whiteface Mt for their Oktoberfest I’ll let you know what they serve

Is that where they had the down hill olympics? If so, is the bobsled run open in the winter for public to ride? I think thats a bit down the road from there. Sneezles61

Yes it’s a super steep mountain and icy . But the locals can pick their day so after a dumping it is awesome. You can get a bobsled ride on the track with a driver but not from the top. They have local clubs that do luge. Huge turn out for their Oktoberfest they had Spaten ofest and goose island on tap. Beck’s ofest and bud in bottles and cans. Didn’t see much bud being drunk mostly the Spaten.

1 Like

I’ll bet it was a great time. I was out there in the early 90’s. Way back when Molson had there DRY style beer. I enjoyed seeing the country side on a long week end. I couldn’t imagine how they trucked all those peeps around to see the activities! Sneezles61

1980 was the last of the small town Olympics they just bussed the people in. The bobsled track has been replaced since then. They still have world cup here and USA luge is home here. They use the old track for wheeled bobsled. Today I tried one of my maibocks. Still very good. I think the malty beers age better than the hippy ones.

1 Like

I mean hoppy. But I guess the hippies to

Sadly yes.

1 Like

I’ve just about kicked one keg of miabock, and am trying to leave the other fer later down the road…. I hope, will try, maybe… don’t know… Sneezles61

1 Like

If it doesn’t make it till next spring you still have plenty of time to do another. I brew mine in February. Something about brewing a maibock when it’s cold and snowy warms things up just a touch.

1 Like

Oh yeah, I am awaiting winter to show up! Sneezles61

Cracked open some of my porters. They are nice. Some of the bottles are over carved so I need to work on my bottling process. I bottled a little over carbed worried I would lose carbonation with ageing. Not the case. This year I’ll bottle at the appropriate level. Who wants an over carbonated porter. Not a problem just needed to let it gas off and warm up a bit in the glass. Enjoying one now with a side of bourbon at the campfire. Getting ready for a crowd coming in for the weekend

Whats yer event? Brew tasting then?:slight_smile: We’ll be right over! I will fill growlers and an occasional bomber bottle, but for long term storage? I’m not into that aspect. Sneezles61

I bottle from the keg for travelers or if I need the keg. Seems to work good. Just need to make sure the beer is at the carbonation level you want

1 Like