Tempered bottles? Is someone blowing smoke up my

I was just at my LHBS (not a great one and they don’t take suggestions well at all). I was half looking a Grolsh style bottle and made the crack that it was hard to turn loose the cash when I could just get glass free by buying some beer. Her reply was that reused production bottles were more likely to fail than bought home brew bottles as the bought ones where tempered and thus stronger… … … … Im calling BS. I think bottle toughness depends on glass thickness, not some imaginary tempering.

Chime in if you know though cause all I’m doing is pulling the BS cord. I’d love to actually know the answer next time I go there.

Barry

[quote=“Vulkin’”]I was just at my LHBS (not a great one and they don’t take suggestions well at all). I was half looking a Grolsh style bottle and made the crack that it was hard to turn loose the cash when I could just get glass free by buying some beer. Her reply was that reused production bottles were more likely to fail than bought home brew bottles as the bought ones where tempered and thus stronger… … … … Im calling BS. I think bottle toughness depends on glass thickness, not some imaginary tempering.

Chime in if you know though cause all I’m doing is pulling the BS cord. I’d love to actually know the answer next time I go there.

Barry[/quote]

Chiming in even though I don’t know… but that sounds like a huge crock. I might buy the argument that new bottles are more reliable because reused bottles may have some sort of fatigue, or may have had the neck weakened by overly enthusiastic bottle opening, but “tempering?” I’d offer to fill the guy’s tires with 78% nitrogen tire filling blend for a discounted premium price.

Well I bottled for close to 5 years (im sure a lot of people have me beat on that one) never once paid money for “homebrew bottles” and have never had a neck break, bottle bomb, or any other form of bottle “failure” that i can think of.

I will help you bull the bs cord, too bad when people have to come up with stuff like that to sell things.

[quote=“uberculture”][quote=“Vulkin’”]I was just at my LHBS (not a great one and they don’t take suggestions well at all). I was half looking a Grolsh style bottle and made the crack that it was hard to turn loose the cash when I could just get glass free by buying some beer. Her reply was that reused production bottles were more likely to fail than bought home brew bottles as the bought ones where tempered and thus stronger… … … … Im calling BS. I think bottle toughness depends on glass thickness, not some imaginary tempering.

Barry[/quote]

Chiming in even though I don’t know… but that sounds like a huge crock. I might buy the argument that new bottles are more reliable because reused bottles may have some sort of fatigue, or may have had the neck weakened by overly enthusiastic bottle opening, but “tempering?” I’d offer to fill the guy’s tires with 78% nitrogen tire filling blend for a discounted premium price.[/quote]
and we all know thats just air, right?

[quote=“Vulkin’”]I was just at my LHBS (not a great one and they don’t take suggestions well at all). I was half looking a Grolsh style bottle and made the crack that it was hard to turn loose the cash when I could just get glass free by buying some beer. Her reply was that reused production bottles were more likely to fail than bought home brew bottles as the bought ones where tempered and thus stronger… … … … Im calling BS. I think bottle toughness depends on glass thickness, not some imaginary tempering.

Barry[/quote]

Why would you go back to a shop that treats you like you’re a moron?

[quote=“speed”][quote=“uberculture”][quote=“Vulkin’”]I was just at my LHBS (not a great one and they don’t take suggestions well at all). I was half looking a Grolsh style bottle and made the crack that it was hard to turn loose the cash when I could just get glass free by buying some beer. Her reply was that reused production bottles were more likely to fail than bought home brew bottles as the bought ones where tempered and thus stronger… … … … Im calling BS. I think bottle toughness depends on glass thickness, not some imaginary tempering.

Barry[/quote]

Chiming in even though I don’t know… but that sounds like a huge crock. I might buy the argument that new bottles are more reliable because reused bottles may have some sort of fatigue, or may have had the neck weakened by overly enthusiastic bottle opening, but “tempering?” I’d offer to fill the guy’s tires with 78% nitrogen tire filling blend for a discounted premium price.[/quote]
and we all know thats just air, right?[/quote]

Yep. That’s the joke. Basic chemistry FTW.

Well, tempered glass is a real thing. I’m not aware of anyone using it for beer bottles though.

There’s a pretty good chance this person was just repeating something they believed to be true, rather than deliberately trying to scam you. When it comes to anything vaguely sciencey, I’ve heard many a myth repeated as fact by otherwise intelligent persons.

tempered glass is what your side and rear window in your car are made of. its the stuff that shatters in to a million dull pieces.

Bottles are NOT this type of glass.

[quote=“Nate42”]There’s a pretty good chance this person was just repeating something they believed to be true, rather than deliberately trying to scam you.[/quote]Or it could be that the owner was scammed by a traveling bottle salesman and is just parroting his sales pitch.

Just go in her store, and smash one of them on the floor!

and say, seee, thats not tempered!
lol.

Or just don’t go back in there at all. They probably won’t be around long anyway. They sure deserve not to be. :evil:

:lol: That’s got to be a hard way to make a living.

I think I’ve broken two bottles out of 135 batches I’ve bottled. Smells like B$

Thanks all. I think we have a clear vote of BS.

I don’t think it is intentional on the stores case. The brewing section of the store is a small part of a health food/ herbal store. They try to be helpful but are rather unnknowledgable.

The reason I still go is I have two choices. Catch this place while on lunch break right near my office, or drive 2 hours south to another store that is better but not hugely experienced themselves. It must be nice living in a better supplied area.

Barry

Damn those salesmen…

Yeah sounds like BS to me. Tell her to smash one of the bottles next time the salesman comes by.