Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Temperature recommendations

Tomorrow I’m brewing NB’s Patersbier extract kit. Except I’m going to ferment with 3522 instead of NB’s recommended 3787. (Because the 3522 is the recommended strain for the tripel for which the Patersbier is serving as a second-stage starter.)

My question is Wyeast says 65-76, and I’ve even read 65-85. Given that I like the fruity and peppery flavors how would recommend setting my freezer’s air temp? I was thinking I need to start closer to the 65, maybe even 62 to compensate for the probe being outside the fermenter; but then raise it over the first week.

So in general, I’m asking where would you recommend I start, where should I end, and how long would you think I should take to get there?

-and putting the probe in the beer is not an option for me… I know it would be better…

I have not used either of these yeasts. It has been my experience with other Belgian yeasts that if you ferment low you get peppery or spicy. Ferment high and you get fruity.

Tape and insulate your probe to the fermentor for more accurate wort temperature control.

[quote=“JMcK”]Tomorrow I’m brewing NB’s Patersbier extract kit. Except I’m going to ferment with 3522 instead of NB’s recommended 3787. (Because the 3522 is the recommended strain for the tripel for which the Patersbier is serving as a second-stage starter.)

My question is Wyeast says 65-76, and I’ve even read 65-85. Given that I like the fruity and peppery flavors how would recommend setting my freezer’s air temp? I was thinking I need to start closer to the 65, maybe even 62 to compensate for the probe being outside the fermenter; but then raise it over the first week.

So in general, I’m asking where would you recommend I start, where should I end, and how long would you think I should take to get there?

-and putting the probe in the beer is not an option for me… I know it would be better…[/quote]

I brewed the patersbier back in april as a starter for the number 8. I did use the 3787 but I think the optimal temperature range is similar.

I pitched at 63 kept it about there for 3 days then let it rise to naturally. It leveled out around 70. I’d say I had much more fruity flavors. I may not have the most evolved palate but I didn’t detect much in the way up peppery notes.

I made a Belgian Pale Ale with 3522 and kept the temperature down to avoid expression of too much peppery flavor. Fermentation was at around 65F and there wasn’t a lot of fruitiness or pepper flavors. I’ve fermented at higher temps for that yeast and got a lot of really great Belgian flavor. I’ll be making a Blond with it soon and using the resulting yeast to ferment an all grain version of the NB’s take on Tripel Karmelite. I used it for a partial mash of their kit and the results were outstanding. I also really like that yeast in Achouffe beers, particularly their Golden Strong. For the Tripel Karmelite partial mash, I pitched at 65 and let it raise on its own to 76 and was very encouraged by the flavor profile. I’ve read that many home brewers rate that yeast as one of their favorite Belgian yeasts.

3787 is another great Belgian yeast, in my opinion. I’ve used it in the Patersbier recipe and a couple of triples. I think it’s got a great fruitiness with limited phenolics. I’m still developing my beer palate, so take my comments with a grain of salt.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com