Temperature fretting

I’m going to be out of town this weekend, and I’m wondering what I should do with a bucket of the Farmhouse Biere de Table that I brewed on Saturday. As of Wednesday it’s at the final gravity I was expecting. At this point, do I need to be particularly worried about temperature? I have a tendency to be OCD about that kind of thing so I’m never sure.

Assuming I do need to worry, should I err on the side of too hot or too cold? I don’t have any decent temperature regulation equipment and supposed to hit 92 around here this weekend. So I think my choices are to leave it in a closet upstairs and risk it going a bit above the recommended range for the yeast, or to move it to a closet in the basement and and have mostly be below that range.

Are you going to have the central air on while you are gone? If no, I’d move it to the basement. Put it on a piece of cardboard to keep it off the cool floor.

[quote=“bunderbunder”]I’m going to be out of town this weekend, and I’m wondering what I should do with a bucket of the Farmhouse Biere de Table that I brewed on Saturday. As of Wednesday it’s at the final gravity I was expecting. At this point, do I need to be particularly worried about temperature? I have a tendency to be OCD about that kind of thing so I’m never sure.

Assuming I do need to worry, should I err on the side of too hot or too cold? I don’t have any decent temperature regulation equipment and supposed to hit 92 around here this weekend. So I think my choices are to leave it in a closet upstairs and risk it going a bit above the recommended range for the yeast, or to move it to a closet in the basement and and have mostly be below that range.[/quote]
You’ll be fine leaving it over the weekend. The yeast is finished and sleeping so you won’t get any off flavors. I’ve got a BDT right now that’s been sitting in the 80’s for about a week.

[quote=“mvsawyer”][quote=“bunderbunder”]I’m going to be out of town this weekend, and I’m wondering what I should do with a bucket of the Farmhouse Biere de Table that I brewed on Saturday. As of Wednesday it’s at the final gravity I was expecting. At this point, do I need to be particularly worried about temperature? I have a tendency to be OCD about that kind of thing so I’m never sure.

Assuming I do need to worry, should I err on the side of too hot or too cold? I don’t have any decent temperature regulation equipment and supposed to hit 92 around here this weekend. So I think my choices are to leave it in a closet upstairs and risk it going a bit above the recommended range for the yeast, or to move it to a closet in the basement and and have mostly be below that range.[/quote]
You’ll be fine leaving it over the weekend. The yeast is finished and sleeping so you won’t get any off flavors. I’ve got a BDT right now that’s been sitting in the 80’s for about a week.[/quote]

+1. Ale temperatures are only critical during active fermentation or the first 3-5 days. After that it’s common practice by many to actually raise the temp to help the yeast finish up. But, no you won’t get any off flavors if you’ve reacted final gravity.

OK, I will chill out then. Thanks! :cheers:

[quote=“bunderbunder”]I’m going to be out of town this weekend, and I’m wondering what I should do with a bucket of the Farmhouse Biere de Table that I brewed on Saturday. As of Wednesday it’s at the final gravity I was expecting. At this point, do I need to be particularly worried about temperature? I have a tendency to be OCD about that kind of thing so I’m never sure.

If it were me I’d go with the basement. I’ve “lagered” an ale or two and in my opinion it helps the final beer.