Temperature controller

Anyone ever used this Docooler 10A 110V Digital temp controller?

http://www.homebrewfinds.com/2014/08/si ... w+Finds%29

How does it compare to the Johnson Controls one that NB sells?

I’ve been using one for about a year. The big advantage is the price. The big disadvantage is that you have to build the actual unit you plug into yourself. There are a couple of good vids on youtube that show how to do it. If you’re a bit handy and have a bit of knowledge of electrics it’s really pretty easy. I think I spent about ten bucks or so on the plastic box to build it in at radio shack and I already had the 12 gauge wire laying around. It does work well though and with a little work you can save a bunch. :cheers:

I had no idea that model existed. I have 2 of the stc 1000s that are wired for both hot and cold. I’ve never used the hot and they were $20 compared to $11. Cool find.

I purchased one of these from a different vendor
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111332982758?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
for $14.57 free shipping. I only needed one relay, for heating, making a small HERMS unit. I also have a few of the SCT 1000. To make a comparison of the two types, the F° is nice, the controls to make the necessary changes is a bit awkward at first, but you get the hang of it quickly. The instructions are a bit of a challenge, best if you make notes on how you go about it and make your own instructions. On like the SCT 1000, there is no off button, you have to turn the power of, but if you do turn off the power or have a power failure, you don’t lose your settings, it fires up where it left off. The buttons on my unit do not protrude as much as the SCT 1000, if you have small fingers your good, fat ones, a little more challenging. The probe that comes with the unit is NOT waterproof, and is only 3 feet long. I’m in the process of ordering some thermisters and hope to build a longer probe. i did a simple build, blue plastic electrical deep box from Lowes to house both the temp controller and a duplex outlet, box cover and some stranded wire (solid wire is a REAL pain), and finally a computer electrical cord I had. On the outlet, I break the tab on the hot side so one side is always hot and the other is controlled by the unit.

good luck with your decision,

tom

[quote=“millstone”]I purchased one of these from a different vendor
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111332982758?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
for $14.57 free shipping. I only needed one relay, for heating, making a small HERMS unit. I also have a few of the SCT 1000. To make a comparison of the two types, the F° is nice, the controls to make the necessary changes is a bit awkward at first, but you get the hang of it quickly. The instructions are a bit of a challenge, best if you make notes on how you go about it and make your own instructions. On like the SCT 1000, there is no off button, you have to turn the power of, but if you do turn off the power or have a power failure, you don’t lose your settings, it fires up where it left off. The buttons on my unit do not protrude as much as the SCT 1000, if you have small fingers your good, fat ones, a little more challenging. The probe that comes with the unit is NOT waterproof, and is only 3 feet long. I’m in the process of ordering some thermisters and hope to build a longer probe. i did a simple build, blue plastic electrical deep box from Lowes to house both the temp controller and a duplex outlet, box cover and some stranded wire (solid wire is a REAL pain), and finally a computer electrical cord I had. On the outlet, I break the tab on the hot side so one side is always hot and the other is controlled by the unit.

good luck with your decision,

tom[/quote]
Thanks for your thorough review Tom! Much appreciated.