Temperature controller probe

I know this has been discussed before, but after building my second stc 1000 temperature controller today I got to thinking. The first one I built is currently being used to convert an upright freezer into a kegerator. The probe in this application has been sealed in a plastic bag and placed in a bottle of water. It has been operating this way for several months effectively.

I built another today to be used in a dorm fridge as a means to brew lagers. Where should I place the probe for this temp controller?

I know many either tape the probe to the side of the fermenter with insulation or hang the probe freely in the air. Where do you all put your temperature probes, and what do you reccomended?

You want to monitor the temp of the fermenter. Tape to the side or use a thermowell.

No other thoughts??

I think its been answered… :stuck_out_tongue:

When using it for fermentation you want to try to keep the temp as close to your “ideal” ferm temps. You could buy a thermowell, but I have had success just using an ace bandage and wrapping it around the carboy. This will prevent the tape gunk on fermenters.

You always measure what you want to control, period. measuring air temp is mostly inaccurate.

Secure the probe to the side of the fermenter and cover it with something and you will probably be within a degree at all times. How you secure it is up to you, but tape is not something I’d suggest due to moisture.

When I don’t have a thermowell I use a bungee cord to hold the probe directly to the fermenter and cover the outfacing side of the probe with a cloth.

Electrical tape or stretchy vinyl will do the trick if you are in a bind. Thermowell’s are the best option.

…I love the ace bandage idea, though. Super simple, super cheap. Just have to make sure you get the clasps on tight!

Cheers.

Don’t worry about the clasps. Just take the end and tuck it back in. The bandage also provides the insulation from outside temps throwing the reading off.

Don’t worry about the clasps. Just take the end and tuck it back in. The bandage also provides the insulation from outside temps throwing the reading off.

As above. If taping it to the outside of the fermenter, cover it with something with insulation value.

I normally use my thermowell, but if taping to the side of fermenter I like to use doubled small bubble bubble wrap as the insulation bandage. In my kegerator my probe hangs mid-chest freezer in the air.