Temp swings in swamp cooler

This is my first time using a swamp cooler for temperature control. On the whole I’m pretty happy with it, and should be even more on the money second time around.

My question is on how significant the temperature swings will be in the end.

After playing with it a little I am confident I could hold a very stable temperature if I could add fewer frozen bottles more often throughout the day. But in my situation (work / sleep). I ended up adding every 8-12 hours which let my temps swing back and forth 2 degrees very gradually.

Water temps - 10-15 C
Fermentation Temps - 15-17C
Swings seemed gradual but hard to tell when I’m not there.
Yeast - US-05
Beer - Altbier

Extra - Pitch was a bit high - low 20s C - But that temperature came down to 17-18 C within a few hours. Next time I will definately bring the wort temp down before I pitch.

Any comments the significance of these issues. On the whole I think the fermentation has gone really well, so I am expecting pretty solid results.

I do not think a temperature swing of +/- 2°will make any difference. In my swamp cooler I don’t use ice. I cover the fermentor with a cotton towel which drapes into the water. I have a fan blowing on the towel to speed evaporation. In an ambient temperature of 70° I can hold fermentation to 64° using SA-05.

This is the other meathod I intend to try out soon.

Do you have the fermenter submernged in the water as well, or is it just the towel that is in contact with both the water and the fermenter?

I have the fermentor in a resturant bussing tray with approx 6" of water. Trays at Sam’s Club, two for $12.00.

My issue will be finding a tray large enough for my 50l fermenter when I use it for larger batches. I’m sure there would be something around the house.

My smaller primary fits nicely in a smallish rubermade bin.

Will definately be trying this meathod soon.

My issue will be finding a tray large enough for my 50l fermenter when I use it for larger batches. I’m sure there would be something around the house.

My smaller primary fits nicely in a smallish rubermade bin.

Will definately be trying this meathod soon.[/quote]
50 liter fermentor? Time to go to an agricultural supply store.

[quote=“flars”]
50 liter fermentor? Time to go to an agricultural supply store.[/quote]

Actually now that I think about it is 60l. Speidel heavy duty plastic tank. Beauty piece of gear. Just a bit of a beast.