Temp problems

I have a chest freezer kegorator with an analog temp control that I got without any instructions. It appears to function fine except that the tempertature varies a lot from top to bottom. The first keg I used froze while beer bottles stored higher up did not freeze. The collar is made from 2x6s and even has a layer of insulation. What could be causing this?

Cold air sinks. It will naturally be colder at the bottom. You can install a computer fan to circulate the air and keep temperature uniform. Consider installing the fan on a pipe that extends to the bottom to pull the colder air to the top.

Where is your probe located? If it was at the top, this could be why you had the problem.

I’ve tried the probe in the middle and at the bottom and can’t tell any difference. I have moved it back to middle and will pick up a fan tomorrow. Do you mean I should mount the fan on top a pipe to act as a duct? I didn’t realize there could be so much variantion within the freeze. Thanks for the tip.

I don’t see a need for any pipe. The computer fan should mix the air inside the freezer just fine.

ok…I found an AC computer fan at Radio Shack and it only has bare wires. Is it ok to simply connect the wires to a cord with a regular wall outlet plug?

You’ll have to look at the specs on the fan. Be sure to make a proper connection though.

No, no, no!

That fan is probably 12 volts. Most computer parts are 12 volts.

Hooking directly to 120v A/C current = very dangerous

[quote=“560sdl”]No, no, no!

That fan is probably 12 volts. Most computer parts are 12 volts.

Hooking directly to 120v A/C current = very dangerous[/quote]

Not necessarily.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2102825

You’ll have to look at the specs on the fan. Be sure to make a proper connection though.[/quote]

Double checking is a wise idea.

I would take it back and see if yo can scrounge a free 12v fan. Power it with an old cell phone charger.

I guess it could be 120v, but I would make darn sure. Good rule of thumb, if the wires are heavy guage, like an extension cord, it is probably ok