Temp probe when using fermentation heater?

I recently received the Johnson digital temperature controller and the NB fermentation wrap heater. I plan to use the heater controlled by the controller. Can the temp probe be immersed directly in the wort? I saw a couple other posts saying to tape probe to outside of fermenter, but I can’t do that with the wrap heater attached. I also saw a post about using a thermowell. Does NB have a thermowell stopper to use with the Johnson controller temp probe? I saw one at MoreBeer but it specifically states it is not compatible with the size of the Johnson temp probe. Other options?

Someday I might have enough room for a dedicated freezer as a fermentation temp controller!

Thanks for your help and inputs.

Are you sure you cannot use the wrap? Mine only wrapped 3/4 the way around my 6.5 gallon carboy, leaving plenty of room to tape the controller probe. Another option is to cut the fermwrap to resize. Only do this along the dotted line. I haven’t done this as mine fit fine but I would if needed.

Doh! Thanks for the reply. I had not test fit the fermwrap on my fermenters yet.

I need to add that you should make sure that the temperature probe is VERY SECURELY taped to the side of the fermenter. I received a Johnson digital controller and wrap heater for Christmas. Brewed the NB Brickwarmer yesterday, and this morning found that the temperature probe had come off of the fermenter, and the stick-on thermometer on my fermenter was reading 76 degrees, far removed from the 64 degree setpoint on the controller. Don’t scrimp on the tape :oops:

By the way, the Thermowell from Williams Brewing is said to work with the Johnson digital controller probe, but not with the probe that comes with the analog controller.

I’ve been doing ambient in my freezer, but decided to tape the probe on to the fermenter for this last batch.

I’m using one of those enormous band-aids; and it’s holding pretty well. It’s the version where the pad is about 3x5 and then there’s a 1/2" border of sticky around it.

[quote=“OGBrewer”]I need to add that you should make sure that the temperature probe is VERY SECURELY taped to the side of the fermenter. I received a Johnson digital controller and wrap heater for Christmas. Brewed the NB Brickwarmer yesterday, and this morning found that the temperature probe had come off of the fermenter, and the stick-on thermometer on my fermenter was reading 76 degrees, far removed from the 64 degree setpoint on the controller. Don’t scrimp on the tape :oops:
[/quote]
Not sure what kind you’re using but I’m finding 1 1/2" wide masking tape is working better than electrical tape for me.

Not sure who it was (may have been multiple people) but I heard the suggesting of using an ACE bandage and wrapping it around the carboy. That way, it’s reusable and you don’t have sticky residue on your carboy when you are done. I plan to do this on my next brew.

Many good suggestions. I will surely use a better method of securing everything to the fermenter before my next brew session. I have a flat bungee cord with small hooks, that I think I got at a bicycle shop, that would work pretty good if it’s the proper length, and if I can find one or two more (something like shown here: http://tinyurl.com/n3gns4j).

At the risk of sounding like an old geezer, ACE bandages ain’t what they used to be. They loose their elastic almost instantly. Last one I used on a wrist was worthless on the third day.

I was thinking of cutting the middle out of a girl’s one-piece bathing suit, or one of those 80’s-style work-out outfits that look like bathing suits. Totally practical, can go in the laundry after a blow-out, and much more durable, except for the uncomfortable conversations it could draw, “Does your beer have… Boobs?”

Bubble wrapped and bungied to the fermenter works fine for me. The bubble wrap keeps it from detecting ambient temperature swings too quickly and cycling too often. I use the thermowell on my wrap heaters for ales, but the bubble wrap and bungies or string tie to hold it in place for cooling lagers in the fermenting chest (painter’s tape may work, as well, but I have found that it doesn’t want to stick well to cold containers and I start pretty cold with lagers).

:cheers: