Tasting it early

OK, so as I have said before I am brand new to this obsession. I bottled my first batch this past Saturday. This coming Saturday I am brewing my next batch and the person who gave me the kit as a Christmas present is coming over to do it with me. After one week, if we were to try it would it be disappointing? I can hold it up to a light and see that the beer is clear and I see a small layer of sediment on the bottom so I think all is going well. So what’s the opinion? Will my lack of patience be my undoing?

It’s hard to say for sure. It might be under carbed, it might be just right. It might need time to condition, it might not. The rule of thumb is to let it bottle condition for AT LEAST 2 weeks. what kind of beer? how long did you let it ferment?

If you don’t mind sacrificing a bottle, then go for it. But if it’s not great, don’t let that discourage you.

Will the beer be fully conditioned and ready to drink after just one week? No. Should that stop you from executing your plan? No. Go for it! I encourage you to take a sample every week until you feel it’s “ready.” That’s part of the early fun IMO. This hobby is as much about the experience as it is about the product.

Just know that the beer will be better in a month than it is now. It will probably be even better a month after that.

Do it! Don’t drink them ALL, but give yourself at least ONE, Ebenezer Scrooge! :cheers:

[quote=“kcbeersnob”]Will the beer be fully conditioned and ready to drink after just one week? No. Should that stop you from executing your plan? No. Go for it! I encourage you to take a sample every week until you feel it’s “ready.” That’s part of the early fun IMO. This hobby is as much about the experience as it is about the product.

Just know that the beer will be better in a month than it is now. It will probably be even better a month after that.[/quote]

+1 to all of this! The experience of a batch brewed doesn’t end on bottling day. I love noticing have the flavors evolve (for better or for worse) over time. Another vote for drinking early, and drinking often.

[quote=“kcbeersnob”]Will the beer be fully conditioned and ready to drink after just one week? No. Should that stop you from executing your plan? No. Go for it! I encourage you to take a sample every week until you feel it’s “ready.” That’s part of the early fun IMO. This hobby is as much about the experience as it is about the product.

Just know that the beer will be better in a month than it is now. It will probably be even better a month after that.[/quote]

+2

I am far from being anywhere near as experienced as most of the folks here, but I find myself “sampling” almost everyday after about a week to a week and a half after bottling/kegging!

:cheers:

I would open one and taste it with your friend. Then I would give him/her a bottle and tell him/her to open it in a month to compare.

Well we are going to get some snow here and my amigo lives about 20 or so miles away. She does not like to drive in snow (even though its insignificant snow) so she will not be brewing with me tomorrow. So I will taste one myself here tomorrow and go to her house on Wednesday and have one with her then. But the most important thing is that I am getting a new batch going tomorrow. She will be here to brew the next batch in 3 weeks. I am looking to do an IPA. Any suggestions on a good IPA kit? I am not a fan of fruity tasting IPA’s. I really liked the Harpoon IPA if that helps.

My 20+ batches thus far have always tasted and carbed right after 2-3 weeks.

My new strategy has been to brew like mad to build up a lot of reserves so I can wait on my latest batch and taste through my old ones. I went a bit full throttle on it and now I have like 25 gal of beer bottled at the moment and stashed around the house. That is the only thing that keeps me from attacking my latest batch too early.

My first batch - I was thrown off and super worried I messed something up when I tasted it too early. It was awesome after two weeks more.

Time it takes to carbonate depends on storage temperature. Let us know how it is when you try it!